US Open betting seems to come into prominence with American sports bettors every year. Perhaps, it’s due to the fact that the NBA, NFL and NHL are in offseason, but gamblers love betting on the tournament. The US Open, which runs annually in June, is the second of the four major men’s golf championships throughout the year. Hosted by the United States Golf Association, US Open golf betting is a lucrative yearly gambling event.
If you’re interested in learning more about betting on the US Open, we’ve got you covered. Read our guide below to learn about the best online US Open golf betting sites, what odds and betting types are available to American bettors, as well as some general golf betting tips. We also take a brief look at the tournament’s history. So, go on and find out all you need to about wagering on the prestigious golf event.
Best US Open Betting Sites 2020
To get in on the action, we recommend checking the US Open golf betting offers available at the following online betting sites.
What You’ll Find In Our US Open Betting Guide
- Popular US Open Betting Lines
- Betting Tips for the US Open Golf
- Understanding PGA US Open Betting Odds Golf
- US Open History
Generally, betting on who the outright winner of the tournament will be is the most popular type of golf bet. Additionally, the US Open betting odds are open before the tournament begins. Let’s take a look at the most popular betting types below.
- Match Golf Betting – the odds in this type of bet are based on head-to-head matched players – players that have the same likelihood of winning. They’re also based on the US Open golf tournament schedule. Bettors lock in the prices on each player to win and the odds for a tie.
- Position Markets Betting – the odds of a player finishing in a certain position are also a part of US Open golf betting. Therefore, bettors can wager on whether a golfer will get a top 5, top 10 or top 20 finish.
- Top Player Betting – this type of bet places prices on a player based off their nationality. So, for example, US Open golf odds are on the top American or top Chinese player.
- First Round Leader Betting – for this type of bet, bettors can wager on who the first-round leader will be.
These are just the most popular golf betting options at golf sportsbooks. Be sure to have a look at all the other US Open 2020 betting options available to US gamblers at the sports betting sites listed above.
Outright betting on the US Open is difficult, even for the seasoned bettor. Below, we’ll look at some US Open betting tips that may help you with your wagers.
- Firstly, take your time if you’re looking at US Open winner betting odds. Most of the top golfers have high odds stacked on them. This is common because the talent pool is evenly spread out across the top 20 golfers. Gone are the days of Tiger Woods’ dominance.
- Secondly, given that the US Open is held at different venues each year, it’s difficult to predict US Open betting favorites based on their previous performance. They think that this change in location is why, in its 122-year history, there have only been 21 players who have managed to win multiple titles.
- Look at the player’s Fairways Hit and Average Distance off the Tee categories when reviewing their statistics leading up to the tournament. You can find these stats on the PGA Tour website.
- If you’re planning on wagering online, make sure to take advantage of US Open betting offers. Most sportsbooks will run a special on the tournament which could see you walk away with big cash prizes if you win.
- Finally, study the layout of the course and the form of the players best suited to the golf course to help you narrow down the list of potential winners.
Be sure to have a look at our blog and golf predictions pages for the latest US Open betting predictions. These are full of worthwhile US Open golf betting tips. We keep up with all the latest developments in the sport so you don’t have to!
Check out our other golf guides:
Some Americans are put off the whole idea of wagering on the US Open because they do not understand how odds work. Well, we think this is an outrageous notion because once you learn how golf betting odds US open work, you’ll regret not having made bets on previous tournaments.
Basically, there are three different ways in which odds can be displayed: American, decimal and fractional. Most online sportsbooks tend to stick to American, which is what we’ll explain below. However, if you would like to learn about the other methods, be sure to have a look at our odds page.
So, when you visit an online sportsbook, a betting line on the tournament will look like this:
Sam Horsfield -115
Roberto Castro -105
Carlos Ortiz +120
The plus and minus symbols tell us if a player is favored to win this particular wager. The minus symbol indicates a favorite whereas a plus indicates an underdog. Basically, a US$100 bet on Ortiz will pay out US$120 whereas bettors will need to bet $115 on Sam Horsfield to win $100.
The last thing we can say about odds is that you need to shop around for them. Gamblers can be sure that 2020 US Open golf betting odds are going to be easy to come by. However, some sites will have better deals than others.
The first US Open tournament was held in 1895 and was dominated by British golfers until it was won by the first American, John J. McDermott, in 1911.
Certainly, this tournament is known for its tricky courses. They rarely ever play on a par-72 golf course. It featured its first female player in 2016. Players who have won the most US Open championships are:
- Willie Anderson: 1901, 1903, 1904, and 1905.
- Bobby Jones: 1923, 1926, 1929, and 1930.
- Ben Hogan: 1948, 1950, 1951, and 1953.
- Jack Nicklaus: 1962, 1967, 1972, and 1980.
US Open golf betting is a great way of interacting with a tournament that’s become an institution. Remember to have fun with it and don’t go over your bankroll to chase lost bets. Also, don’t forget that there is a second opportunity to wager in the form of the Women’s US Open golf betting.