The Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint is a graded stakes thoroughbred horse race held at the Breeders’ Cup World Championship each year. As the name implies, the race takes place on a turf course. The distance run is between five and six and a half furlongs, depending on where the World Championships are held that year.
The Longines Turf Sprint is one of the most exciting Breeders’ Cup events to bet on. If you would like to find out more about how you can bet on the event online, keep reading!
Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint Betting Guide Links
- Bet on the Breeders’ Cup Here
- How to Bet on the Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint
- Turf Sprint Betting Tips
- Latest Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint Odds
Generally, all horse races have the same list of betting options. The Breeders’ Cup does have a few unique bets, but most of these wagers involve betting on multiple events at the World Championship rather than just the Turf Sprint. If you would like to learn more about these bets, we suggest that you visit our main Breeders’ Cup guide.
As for now, here are all the standard bets available on the Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint:
- Win – a bet on a horse to win the race. It is the easiest bet you can place on a horse race.
- Place – a bet on a horse to finish either first or second. Your odds of winning the bet increases, but as a result, your payout decreases.
- Show – a bet on a horse to get a podium finish – first, second, or third. Again, your odds of winning a show bet is much higher than that of a win or show bet. But the prize is much smaller.
- Quinella – a bet on two horses to finish first and second in either order. Because quinellas are more likely to fail, the payout on this bet is pretty high.
- Exacta – a bet on two horses to finish first and second in the order you predicted. Your odds of winning this bet is even lower than the quinella, so expect a big payday if you get this wager right.
- Trifecta – a bet on three horses to finish in the podium spots in the order you predicted. Odds on a trifecta vary based on the competitors, but you could win anything up to 35 times your bet.
- Boxed Bets – you place boxed bets when you place multiple exacta and trifecta wagers on the same race, such as the Turf Sprint.
We like to point out that most sports betting sites don’t list odds for all of these betting options. Often, if you want to place more than a simple win bet, you will need to contact the support team for personalized odds.
If you’ve read through some of our other Breeders’ Cup guides, you’ll have noticed some trends within the betting tips. Many of these tips apply to the Turf Sprint as well, but not all:
Foreign Horses Have Seen Limited Success in the Turf Sprint
Usually, we’d recommend that you pay special attention to European horses in turf races. There are several “Win, and You’re In” berths for the Turf Sprint for races in England, Ireland, and France. However, horses from these countries haven’t always been very successful in this event.
In fact, the most notable win by a foreign horse is probably Belvoir Bay in 2019. Outside of this victory, most of the winners have been American-bred horses.
Older Horses are Favored
The Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint is still a relatively new race. However, in its history so far, only one three-year-old has ever won the event. Most winners tend to be around five or six-years-old. The oldest winner ever was Obviously, who was eight-years-old when he recorded his 2016 victory.
Repeat Winners are Common
As mentioned above, the Turf Sprint is still a new event. But in its short period of existence, it has already seen some repeat winners in all categories, including horse, jockey, trainer, and owner. There is no guarantee that anyone will win the race back-to-back, but success often begets future success.
Thus, remember that in the Turf Sprint, Mike Smith and Joel Rosario hold the record for most wins by a jockey with two apiece. Peter Miller holds the record for most wins by a trainer with three, but he is followed by Mike Pupye with two.
Jungle Racing/KMN Racing et al. and Rockingham Ranch are joint holders of the most wins by an owner record with two wins apiece.
Looking for odds on the Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint? Well, at the time of writing, the odds were as listed below. But as these numbers are always changing, we recommend that you visit one of our suggested sportsbooks above for the latest numbers.
We suggest that you start with Bovada because the sportsbook has race odds on every event at the Breeders’ Cup as well as special offers.
|4||Front Run the Fed||+1000|
|5||Wet Your Whistle||+2000|
Check out our other Breeders’ Cup guides: