Houston Astros vs Seattle Mariners Predictions, Picks & Odds 7/24/20
The first set of MLB games for the 2020 season continues with the Houston Astros vs Seattle Mariners at Minute Maid Park. The Astros enter the season on the back of a World Series loss to the Nationals, the loss of Gerrit Cole and allegations of cheating in their 2017 winning season. So, it’s safe to say that they are not really a team baseball fans want to get behind.
The Mariners enter the season off the back of a terrible 2019 campaign which saw them notch up only 68 wins throughout the season. They failed to make the playoffs for the 17th consecutive season in 2019 and don’t seem to have added any new faces that could change this situation this year. So, is this bet really as easy as it appears to be?
Houston Astros vs Seattle Mariners Predictions
Before we get into the predictions, let’s look at some stats and facts!
- Justin Verlander is expected to take the mound for the Houston Astros today. He and Gerrit Cole led the way for the Astros in 2019. Verlander comes off a season where he posted a 3.58 ERA and a win-loss ratio of 21-6. He has a career ERA of 3.33 and a win-loss ratio of 225-129.
- The Astros have a strong offense if their Spring Training games were anything to go by. José Altuve, Alex Bregman and Carlos Correa have all got some solid batting averages and have shown to be capable. It’ll be interesting to see how they fare this season.
- The Astros come into this game off a season where they made it all the way to Game 7 of the World Series. Despite being embroiled in a cheating scandal, the team really does have some good talent, and that should be enough to get them wins more often than not. They will feel the loss of Gerrit Cole, though.
- Marco Gonzales will be starting at pitcher for the Mariners tonight. Gonzales didn’t have a terrible season in 2019, but he didn’t have a great on either. Overall, he posted a 16-13 win-loss record with a 3.99 ERA. His career stats are 34-25 and 4.25. So, pretty average.
- On the offensive side, Shed Long, Kyle Seager and Mallex Smith all have slightly above average stats. They recently added Evan White to the listing, so it will be interesting to see if this has an effect on the team’s offense.
- As stated above, the Mariners come into this game following a terrible 2019 season. It looks like 2020 is going to be another one of those years as the team really hasn’t done anything to improve their situation.
So, this one appears to be easy. The Mariners have been struggling to rebuild their squad for the last decade it seems, and the Astros are coming off a season in which they nearly won the World Series.
Taking the Astros seems to be like a no-brainer. However, there is no money on the Astros moneyline, so we suggest that you have a look at the run line for perhaps a more promising payout. You could also try the over 8.5 line if you like because we really don’t like the Mariners’ odds in this one.
Bet on This Game Here
More baseball betting news:
- Los Angeles Dodgers vs San Francisco Giants Predictions, Picks & Odds 7/23/20
- Washington Nationals vs New York Yankees Predictions, Picks & Odds 7/23/20
- Los Angeles Dodgers vs Los Angeles Angels Predictions, Picks & Odds 7/21/20
- Is Baseball Coming Back In 2020?
- Washington Nationals at Houston Astros Game 7 Predictions, Picks & Betting Odds – World Series