Both the New Orleans Saints and Jacksonville Jaguars suffered some pretty massive quarterback blows at the start of the season. In Week 1, the Jaguars lost the newly signed Nick Foles to a broken clavicle in the first quarter of their match against the Kansas City Chiefs. On the other side, Drew Brees who had started the year on a high, suffered a torn ligament in his right hand in the Saints Week 2 matchup against the Rams. Despite these setbacks, however, both teams seem to have laughed in the face of adversity.
The Jaguars seem to have uncovered a gem in Gardner Minshew (who seems to be a strong candidate for Rookie of the Year), who has become somewhat of a sensation overnight but has thus far led his team to 2-3 record. Saints backup quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater has been more successful in leading his team to victory with a 3-1 record with him on the field. Which team is more likely to win this matchup though?
New Orleans Saints at Jacksonville Jaguars Predictions
It’s all fine and good to talk about how “Minshew-mania” has taken over the NFL, but how do these two teams actually stack up in terms of stats and facts? Let’s have a look below:’
- Since being thrust in the position of starting quarterback, Gardner Minshew has thrown for 1279 yards, 8 touchdowns and an interception. On the other side, Teddy Bridgewater has thrown for 849 yards, six touchdowns and two interceptions. Bridgewater has also had slightly less game time than Minshew.
- Both teams have rather poor defensive lines that have given up more than they would have liked in past games. The Saints have seen some pretty close calls, just edging past their opponents on a number of occasions. The Jaguars have let more than 20 points past them on three occasions thus far this season.
- Saints wide receiver Michael Thomas seems to be having one crazy season, ranking second overall in the league for his position. In his last five games, he has amassed 543 yards and three touchdowns of 42 receptions. He has also averaged 12.1 yards per reception.
- On the other side, although Leonard Fournette may be no Christian McCaffery, he is not having a bad season. Fournette has amassed 404 yards so far over 72 attempts. He has yet to score a touchdown yet though. He may prove to be rather difficult to cover for Saints defenders to cover.
With all this said, we’d like to make the following predictions for the upcoming matchup:
- Moneyline – as much as we’d like to get swept up into Minshew-mania, it really seems as if the Saints may have a better chance of taking this game. While Bridgewater may not be the best quarterback, he does seem to have a ton of great support in the form of his receivers, and with Thomas performing as well as he is, it really seems as if the Saints are edged to take this game.
Kim’s NFL Record so far: 12-9 (Parlays: 0-2)
New Orleans Saints at Jacksonville Jaguars Betting Odds
Check out the latest NFL betting news:
- Seattle Seahawks at Cleveland Browns Picks, Predictions and Odds
- Washington Redskins at Miami Dolphins Preview, Predictions & Odds
- New York Giants at New England Patriots Predictions & Betting Odds
- Cleveland Browns at San Francisco 49ers Preview, Predictions & Odds
- Minnesota Vikings at New York Giants Preview, Predictions & Betting Odds