The World Cup is one of the biggest sports events in the world, and it comes as no surprise as to why American punters would be interested in betting on it. This event also happens once every four years and brings it excitement.
You might be interested in starting to wager on this sporting event and don’t know where to begin. Our guide will help to know where you should start and build your gambling opportunities from there. So, read on to find out what awaits you when you start on your World Cup betting journey.
Kind of Bets for the World Cup
Like any sport you choose to bet on, there are wagers that you can choose from. You can choose to bet on a team, an individual, game specifics like who is going to score first and many others. However, there are specific kinds of terms that are used for how these bets are called as per below:
- Moneyline – Betting on which team will win the game
- Total – Betting on the overall score that both teams will have at the end of the game
- Spread – betting on how many goals the winning team will win by. It is also applicable to the losing team by how much they will lose.
- Futures – these are made before the World Cup starts and you will be betting on which team will win the World Cup.
- Props – Betting on specific events that happen during the game such as how many goals an individual player will score.
- Live Betting – This happens during the live game and odds and lines are adjusted based on how the game is going.
Other World Cup Betting Options
Other than the kinds of bets available for US players, there are other things to consider such as betting on the different levels of the tournament.
There is betting on the world qualifiers. These matches are the build-up to the actual world cup event — this where teams have to play to qualify to be part of the World Cup. So, there are options to bet on this event before the actual event.
There is also betting on who will reach the finals. This last match of the World Cup is the most watched game out of all the games. It also attracts the bookmakers, and their obvious bet would be who will win the World Cup. There are other betting choices, and the odds for this game are usually very high.
Another betting option available for USA players is choosing to wager on the hosting team. This is where the oddsmakers will have lines for the host team to win the World Cup. However, this has not been an easy thing for many host teams. The last team to have won as the host country was France in 1998.