Progressive jackpot slots are casino games with a jackpot that increases in size with every wager you make. Several progressive jackpot slot machines are connected using a network, meaning bets placed across many online casinos contribute to the prize.
The prize money typically draws players to the game, with the jackpot growing incrementally until somebody wins. Go through our in-depth guide to determine how progressive jackpot slots online work and get expert tips on the best way to win.
Online Slots Links
- Best Progressive Jackpot Casinos
- How Progressive Jackpot Slots Work
- Progressive Slots vs. Non-Progressive Slot Machines
- Progressive Jackpots – FAQs
Progressive jackpot games consist of multiple slots connected to contribute to one central jackpot pool. Each slot player that wagers on a game that is part of the network of games will contribute to the overall pool prize.
Unlike non-progressive slot machines, there are certain requirements players need to meet to qualify for a progressive jackpot prize:
- Firstly, players have to hit the winning combination consisting of symbols with the highest payout. These symbols are typically special icons (scatter or wild symbols) related to the slot machine’s theme. Additionally, they have to appear in the stated number of reels before you can unlock the jackpot.
- Progressive slot jackpot winners also have to wager the maximum betting limit per spin. Even though all bets players make contribute to the jackpot irrespective of the amount, the jackpot is only activated by maximum-credit bets.
- In some games, players are tracked to check the number of maximum bets they make. Players would need 5-10 maximum bets to qualify for the progressive jackpot.
Both progressive and non-progressive games are lucrative, but there is a distinction between the two:
- A non-progressive jackpot is a slot jackpot that is not connected to a network. It is fixed to a single machine, and the jackpot is exclusive to the casino.
- Progressive slots generally display the jackpot amount in the lobby to attract players, although your odds of winning these games is pretty low. They include a potential payout triggered by getting the winning combination multiplied by the minimum qualifying bet.
Once someone wins, the jackpot is reset to the base jackpot amount. This process makes sure that the casino does not provide any seed money for the jackpot since the minimum that can be won would be the amount the gamblers would typically get for hitting the jackpot-winning combination.
Types of Progressive Slot Machines
There are three types of progressive slot games:
- Standalone – this is a standalone slot machine where only bets on this specific machine count towards the jackpot. Usually, jackpots for these games are under $10,000.
- Local network – games in a local network are linked to each other at a single casino. Think of how Playtech’s superhero games are all connected, but imagine this only at a single casino contributing to a single jackpot that can be won across multiple games.
- Wide area network – slot games in a wide area network are linked together across casinos. For example, gamblers playing Megasaur at High Country Casino and BoVegas both contribute to the same jackpot. The result is a much bigger prize.
Top 5 Progressive Slot Games Online
Here is a list of the best progressive jackpot slot machine games available at online gambling sites. (Bear in mind, not all games are available in all countries:)
1. Mega Moolah (Microgaming)
Mega Moolah is probably the most famous progressive jackpot game of all-time. It holds several Guinness World Records, such as the largest payout ever for an online slot game, reaching around $22 million. We should also add that this payout occurred on a 75c bet!
The game features a jungle theme and a classic 5×3 video slot design. Although the graphics seem pretty dated compared to newer slots, there is no denying the excitement of playing this game.
2. Mega Fortune (NetEnt)
Mega Fortune’s jackpot has never reached the heights of Mega Moolah’s prize; it has still made many players instant multi-millionaires. There have been loads of players who have won more than $4 million while playing this famous game.
Mega Fortune features a theme of wealth, which is fitting, seeing as it makes winners rich. Symbols you can expect to see zooming across the screen include rings, a boat, and a limousine, among many other ideas associated with having big money.
3. Aztec’s Millions (Realtime Gaming)
Aztec’s Millions is the progressive variant of Realtime Gaming’s popular Aztec’s Treasures video slot game. Although the game does not offer jackpots as large as those seen in Mega Moolah or Mega Fortune, you can still win millions of dollars in a single spin.
As with some of the other games, the graphics aren’t the best, and the bonus features are quite limited. However, Aztec’s Millions is still an entertaining game to play.
4. Megasaur (Realtime Gaming)
We’re not going to lie to you; we think that Megasaur isn’t a pretty game. It looks like Realtime Gaming tried to take advantage of Jurassic World, making dinosaurs seem cool, but missed the mark. That said, this game can still make you a millionaire.
Megasaur features a dinosaur theme. If you have played RTG’s T-Rex, you’ll already be somewhat familiar with the design and gameplay. Although we were somewhat disappointed in the visuals, you can still have lots of fun with Megasaur.
5. Greedy Goblins (Betsoft)
Greedy Goblins is a popular Betsoft progressive slot game. As with most Betsoft games, the visuals are good, and the bonus features are even better. Although this game doesn’t always have jackpots as large as the other games mentioned on this list, you can still win big cash prizes.
The slot features a fantasy setting with elves, goblins, and gold. With a video game-like design, you will really feel as if you are exploring a fantasy world.
Progressive slots are slots machines linked together in a network that forms part of a single pool. The gameplay is similar to non-progressive slots, with bonus rounds and free spins. The difference is that each bet contributes to a large progressive jackpot, which grows more quickly when players do not win.
Yes, we recommend that players try their luck at playing a progressive jackpot at least once to win a life-changing jackpot prize. They are a lot more expensive to play, so players should not play progressive slots thinking that it’s the only way they will make money.
The best strategy for slot machines is knowing the best time to play at a casino. There are times where more players frequent the casino, and that decreases your chances of winning. You should play slots when fewer players are trying to win the same jackpot you are trying to win.
You can win a progressive jackpot by betting max coins on each payline and ensuring that each spin you bet the same betting range. Depending on the game, you will most likely have to unlock the jackpot round by landing three or more scatter symbols on the reels.
The best time to play slots at a casino is when there aren’t many players vying for the same jackpot. You will need to pick the game with a big jackpot for a while and trust that lady luck is on your side. The time is usually in the mornings and the evenings.
On average, a progressive jackpot is hit at least twice a week. These are progressive jackpots not in the millions. The type of jackpot prizes that reach millions of dollars usually stretches for a period of months where players keep playing but do not win.
Check out our other slots guides: