Seattle Sounders vs San Jose Earthquakes Predictions, Picks & Odds 7/10/20
The Major League Soccer season has finally kicked off again following a huge break due to the global coronavirus pandemic. Friday evening sees a big West Coast match up taking place in the East Coast with San Jose Earthquakes vs Seattle Sounders.
This is the first match of the newly formatted season for both of these teams. The Seattle Sounders start this season off as reigning champions after the 2019 season saw them lit the MLS Cup. It will be interesting to see if they are able to keep up the momentum from last season.
The San Jose Earthquakes enter this season following a terrible 2019 campaign. They missed the playoffs by four points. It will be interesting to see if coach Matías Almeyda has been able to his squad’s form despite the global pandemic that has proven quite detrimental to the sporting season.
So, who is more likely to take it in this one?
Seattle Sounders vs San Jose Earthquakes Predictions
Before we get into the actual predictions, here are some stats of both teams you have to keep in mind:
- This may be the Seattle Sounders first MLS Cup match of the newly formatted season, but before the pandemic put a halt on everything, the team had already played two games. In their first match, they had beat the Chicago Fire 2-1 but drew 1-1 against Columbus Crew. Technically, this means the team is undefeated so far in the 2020 season.
- So far, Sounders forward Jordan Morris appears as if he may have a good year in 2020. He scored two goals against Chicago Fire and will be looking to build on his 10-goal tally that achieved in the league last season.
- The San Jose Earthquakes started the year off with a bad record. They were able to notch a draw against Toronto FC, who is a tough team to beat but got absolutely thrashed by Minnesota United. Overall, it already seems like the Earthquakes are headed for another poor season.
- Perhaps, one of the good aspects of the Earthquakes squad is that goals can come from any player. So far, in the team’s last two matches, four different players have put the ball in the back of the net. Theoretically, this should make the lives of defenders harder.
- Overall, San Jose and Seattle have played each other 29 times, and each team has recorded 11 wins. So, in this respect, it is pretty equal standing.
The Sounders are the obvious favorite here and for a good reason. The Earthquakes haven’t really been all that competitive since the 2012 season, and it appears that the 2020 season is going to continue this trend.
Generally, we’d be a bit cautious following the first game after a break but the Earthquakes got smashed 5-2 by Minnesota United earlier this year. So, we don’t think the team is in a good state.
Thus, go for the Seattle Sounders moneyline on this one. Most sportsbooks will at least give you the chance to double your money with this line.