With regards to European soccer, while the German Bundesliga is not the most popular league, it still provides an entertaining show and a lot of betting opportunities. German soccer is some of the best on the planet. The fact that the national team ranks second in most World Cups won and fourth in most UEFA Champions League titles won is evidence of that. Thus, if you love competitive sports and gambling, you should not be overlooking Bundesliga betting.
If you would like to find out more about betting on the Bundesliga, read on down below. We have created the ultimate guide to betting on top-flight football in the German soccer league. Some of the topics we cover include:
- Types of bets
- Betting tips
- How to read on
- Frequently asked questions
We also list the online sports betting sites with the best German Bundesliga odds. (We encourage you to sign up through our portal to maximize your rewards!)
Bundesliga Betting Links
- Get the Best Bundesliga Betting Odds Here
- German Bundesliga Betting Lines Explained
- Bundesliga Betting Tips
- Top Bundesliga Betting Predictions
- How to Read Odds
- Last 10 Bundesliga Winners
- German Bundesliga History
- Bundesliga Betting FAQs
There is a load of different lines available on soccer leagues. Some of the lines that have proven to be incredibly popular with Bundesliga fans include the following general and sport-specific options:
- Moneylines/to wins – these are bets on who will win a game. You will notice that moneylines in soccer betting are slightly different from those in other sports as a draw is a completely viable result. This makes games harder to predict and increases odds.
- Spreads – with these bets, the sportsbook sets a favorite and an underdog and an expected scoreline. You can then bet on whether the favorite or underdog will beat the line.
- Bundesliga Outright Betting – this is a bet placed on a team to win the league overall. At this moment, we wouldn’t bet against Bayern.
- Over/unders – these are bets made on the score of the game. Will it exceed or come in below the sportsbook’s line?
- Top goalscorer – this is a bet on which player will score the most goals in a season.
- Relegation – which team will be relegated to the country’s second division league?
- Outright minus Bayern and Dortmund – which team will perform the best in the league sans the two actual best teams in the league?
- Last place – which team will come in the last place?
- Don’t bet against Bayern – well, for the moment, Bayern Munich is the top-performing team in the league. With eight league wins in the last decade, it really is a bad idea to wager against them. Unless some money is flooded into another team in a similar manner to what happened to Manchester City, we suggest that you reconsider any futures that don’t involve Bayern winning the Bundesliga.
- Watch games – each European league has a different feel, so knowing what works in Spain or England isn’t helpful for making predictions in Germany. In addition, teams doing well in the Champion’s League aren’t always doing well in their domestic league. (Chelsea famously came sixth in the English Premier League the year they won their first Champion’s League title.)
- Monitor player form – although soccer is more of a team game than a game of stars, there is no denying that some players make the difference. (Think of when Portugal plays without Cristiano Ronaldo – they’re less formidable). If a team’s key players aren’t in form, it is clear that the team is going to have a harder time winning.
We constantly post picks and predictions for soccer matches on our blog, including some on upcoming Bundesliga matches. Make sure to check them out!
So, there are three types of odds formats used at sportsbooks across the world. We show you how to read an calculate your winnings with each of these options here:
- American/moneyline odds – this is the most popular format at US and Canadian sportsbooks. Odds are signified with a number and a plus or minus next to them. Depending on the sign, you use one of these two formulas to calculate your potential winnings:
- Plus – Odds x (Stake/100)
- Minus – (100/Odds) x Stake
- Decimal odds – this is the format most popular at European and Australian sportsbooks. You simply multiply the amount you would like to bet against the odds available on the line.
- Fractional odds – this is the odds format that has proven to be the most popular at UK sportsbooks. It is shown as a fraction. You are able to calculate your potential winnings by using the following formula: [Stake x (Numerator/Denominator)] + Stake.
Here is a list of the last 10 winners of the league. You will notice that it has been pretty predictable in recent years. A word of advice: don’t bet against Bayern Munich.
Due to Germany’s rather “unique” political history, the Bundesliga has a less traditional historical timeline than compared to other European soccer leagues. Prior to the 1950, several leagues existed in each of the country’s states.
In the 1950s, in order to retain German players, there were mass calls for the formation of a centralized professional league in West Germany. The calls came as the national team suffered to remain competitive international tournaments. Meanwhile, in East Germany, the Football Oberliga DFV was formed in 1958.
In 1962, West Germany launched the Bundesliga following the country’s dismal performance in the 1962 World Cup. The league initially consisted of 16 teams and the first team to lift the league trophy was FC Köln.
Following the reunification of Germany in 1990, the East German league was absorbed into the Bundesliga. Only Dynamo Dresden and F.C. Hansa Rostock were kept in the first division in that first year.
Since then, the league has continued to prosper as has the German national team. Today, the Bundesliga is considered one of the best in Europe, even if only a handful of teams are really competitive.
What does Bundesliga translate to in English?
The literal translation of the term is “federal league”.
Who is top of the Bundesliga?
Currently, Bayern Munich is at the top of the league table.
Why is Bundesliga 18 teams?
The league originally featured 16 teams. However, Hertha Berlin was involved in a bribery scandal in 1965, which then led to the demotion. League organizers wanted to keep a team from Berlin in the league for political reasons, so they expanded the numbers to include two more teams from the second division.
How does the Bundesliga work?
Each team plays 34 games per season. At the end of the season, the team with the most points wins the league title. A team gets three points for winning a match and one point for a draw. The two teams with the least amount of points are relegated to the division below. The two best-performing teams in the second-highest league are promoted to the Bundesliga.
Why do German clubs have numbers?
Some German clubs put numbers in front of their name to let it be known that they were the first club to be founded in a certain city. For example, 1. FC Köln.
Is Bundesliga better than EPL?
This is dependent on who you ask. In terms of average game attendance, the Bundesliga posts higher numbers than the English Premier League. However, the EPL rakes in millions more in revenue overall. It is also a more unpredictable league making it more fun to watch in the eyes of some.
How many years has Bayern Munich won the Bundesliga?
At the time of writing, Bayern Munich has won the Bundesliga 28 times.
Check out our other soccer guides: