Tonight’s list of NHL games features a big Eastern Conference clash with the Washington Capitals at Toronto Maple Leafs in what is sure to be a very good matchup. The Capitals are the current leaders of the Metropolitan Division, having started off the season rather well. They come into this game off a win against the Vancouver Canucks in a shootout. The team trailed 5-2 in that game but were able to bring it back for the win.
The Maple Leafs are sitting in third place of the Atlantic Division, and haven’t had as great a start to the season as the Capitals. They come into this game off a loss against the Canadiens. A clear theme in their games has been that a good offense cannot make up for a poor defense. So, who will win in this clash between two potential playoff contenders?
Washington Capitals at Toronto Maple Leafs Predictions
Well, as usual, before we tell you who we think is going to win, let’s have a look at some key game facts below:
- Veteran goaltender Braden Holtby is expected to start for the Washington Capitals tonight. Following Ilya Samsonov terrible performance against the Canucks, it is unsurprising if he does. Holtby comes into the game with a record of 4-1-3, a goals against average of 3.64 and a save percentage of .886. His last performance saw him give up an overtime loss against the Oilers in a game where he allowed four goals.
- Frederik Andersen is expected to be named starting goaltender for the Maple Leafs tonight. Andersen has got a record of 6-2-1, a goals against average of 2.94 and a save percentage of .904. He had a good performance in his last game against the San Jose Sharks he only allowed a single goal out of 17 shots. Do note that the Maple Leafs have not won a single game this regular season with backup Michael Hutchinson on the ice.
- Despite the Maple Leafs offense featuring Auston Matthews, the Capitals are performing better offensively. They are currently ranked third overall in terms of goals as well as shooting percentage (which is unsurprising for a team with Alex Ovechkin in the squad.)
- Both teams seem to be offense heavy. When we say this, we mean that their defensive numbers aren’t quite the same as their offensive ones. That said, the Capitals still edge past the Maple Leafs in allowing fewer goals and shots on goal.
With all this in mind, here are our predictions for Washington Capitals at Toronto Maple Leafs:
- Moneyline – we’re going to go with the Capitals. Although Toronto will be working hard to get the win at home, we think that the Caps are just a little too much for them. They both let in a lot of goals but it seems as if Washington is just a little bit more disciplined than their opponents, meaning less opportunities to try and get one in in that power play.
Kim’s NHL Prediction Record so far: 15-21
Washington Capitals at Toronto Maple Leafs Odds
Get the Best Odds Here
Check out the latest NHL betting news here:
- San Jose Sharks at Boston Bruins Predictions, Picks & Odds 10/29/19
- Florida Panthers at Vancouver Canucks Predictions, Picks & Betting Odds 10/28/19
- Arizona Coyotes at Buffalo Sabres Preview, Predictions, Picks & Betting Odds
- Colorado Avalanche at Vegas Golden Knights Predictions & Odds 10/25/19
- New York Islanders at Ottawa Senators Predictions & Odds 10/25/19