Washington Nationals at Houston Astros Game 1 Preview, Predictions, Picks & Odds – World Series 2019
The World Series is finally upon us as tonight will see the event kick off with Washington Nationals at Houston Astros Game 1. The two teams come into the matchup having experienced very different National League Championship Series (NLCS) and American League Championship Series (ALCS). Despite never having made it to the World Series before, the Nationals had a strong showing in the NLCS, sweeping the St. Louis Cardinals 4-0 in a very decisive fashion.
The Astros had a tougher time in the ALCS, with the Yankees haven taken the first game in Houston in embarrassing fashion. The Astros responded with three straight wins. Many thought that the team had it all wrapped up in Game 5 but the Yankees had one last ditch attempt to bring it back (and they almost did) but the Astros ended their hopes in the 9th inning of Game 6. The Astros are favored to take this one, especially with it being in Houston, but what do the stats say?
Washington Nationals at Houston Astros Game 1 Predictions
Before we get into any prediction making, we always like to have a good look at some of the stats and facts surrounding the two teams in the matchup. Here are some facts about the Astros and Nationals that may change your bet:
- Houston will be starting strong, naming Gerrit Cole as their starting pitcher for Game 1. Cole has had an amazing season this year that has seen him go 20-5 throughout the season and post a 2.50 ERA – the best in the American League. His last start was in Game 3 of the ALCS, which saw the Astros overcome the Yankees 4-1. Throughout the match, he only allowed four hits and went a total of seven innings without letting New York get on the board.
- In addition to Cole’s amazing personal stats, the Astros are 29-7 in matches where Cole started at the mound.
- On the other side, the Nationals are also trying to start strong by naming Max Scherzer starting pitcher for the game. Scherzer posted a record of 11-7 throughout the regular season with an ERA of 2.92. He was ranked 9th overall for pitchers this season. His last start came in Game 2 of the NLCS, where he only allowed one hit through a total of seven scoreless innings.
- In addition to all this, Scherzer has got a winning record against the Astros with 3-1. It is important to note that he hasn’t played against them in over five years. It should also be stated that Astros Center Fielder Michael Brantley has previously gotten a home run and 9 RBIs against Scherzer.
- The Astros have got the best home record in the league this season at 65-22. On the other side, the Nationals posted the second-best away record in the National League with 47-39.
- The Nationals have won eight of the last nine games they have played in Houston, but this was before the Astros won the 2017 World Series and became a real name to be feared in recent seasons.
With all this said, here are our predictions for Washington Nationals at Houston Astros Game 1 of the 2019 World Series:
- Moneyline – we’re going with the underdogs; the Nationals. This is going to be a close game, and while many bettors would not deign to bet against Gerrit Cole or the Astros in the World Series at this point, we really think that the Nationals are going to throw everything they have at it and potentially squeak out the win in doing so.
Kim’s MLB Postseason Prediction Record so far: 4-3.
Washington Nationals at Houston Astros Game 1 Odds
Get the Best Odds Here
Check out the latest MLB betting news here:
- Houston Astros at New York Yankees Game 5 Preview, Picks, Predictions & Odds
- Houston Astros at New York Yankees Game 4 Preview, Prediction & Odds
- Houston Astros at New York Yankees Game 3 Picks, Predictions & Odds
- St. Louis Cardinals at Washington Nationals Game 3 Preview, Predictions and Odds
- Washington Nationals at Los Angeles Dodgers Betting Odds, Predictions & Tips