Washington Nationals vs New York Yankees Predictions, Picks & Odds 7/23/20
The Washington Nationals meet the New York Yankees on Opening Day at Nationals Park for what is sure to be a very exciting game. The Nationals come into this game following a mixed Spring Training performance. However, that doesn’t change the fact that they are reigning World Series champions and are still the team to beat.
The New York Yankees come into this game following a mixed Spring Training performance as well. They were able to notch a win over the Nationals in March. Most importantly, however, is that the team has something to prove following the acquisition of Gerrit Cole, who may want to get back at the Nationals following the Astros defeat in the World Series last November.
The match seems as exciting as they come, and with a three-month unplanned break from baseball, it seems that it really is anyone’s game. So, what’s our prediction?
Washington Nationals vs New York Yankees Predictions
Well, before we get to the prediction, let’s have a look at the facts coming into this one:
- Max Scherzer will be starting at pitcher for the Nationals on opening day. It is unsurprising as Scherzer is considered to be one of the Nationals top pitchers, if not the leader. So far, the 35-year old has a career ERA of 3.20. Last season, he posted an ERA of 2.92 and racked up a win-loss ratio of 11-7.
- Juan Soto, Victor Robles, and Trea Turner are three players that are expected to have a big season in 2020. Each of these players has a batting average of just under .300. Perhaps, the shortened 2020 season will be enough to push them over the mark?
- As mentioned above, the Nationals come into the game following a World Series win. However, this does not mean that the team is not flawed. Currently, they do still have a pretty weak bullpen compared to the Yankees.
- The New York Yankees actually had a better regular season than the Nationals last year, having posted a record of 103-59. They were ousted by the Astros in the American League Championship Series in dramatic fashion in Game 6. But now they have stolen one of the Astros best pitchers – Gerrit Cole.
- Gerrit Cole will be starting at pitcher for the Yankees in this one with a career ERA of 3.22. However, Cole is coming off a season in which he posted a 2.50 ERA and a win-loss ratio of 20-5. If there is something to be said about Cole, it is that his team almost always wins when he is on the mound.
- The Yankees list of hitters looks extremely imposing. Giancarlo Stanton returns this season (perhaps he will be able to make it through a shortened version), and Aaron Judge is also expected to have another big year. Youngster Gleyber Torres also seems to keep improving with every season.
So, this is a difficult one because it is the first game of the season. You also have the World Series champs going up against a team that dominated the American League during the regular season. Both teams are also fielding their best pitchers.
We’re going for the Yankees in this one. We think that with Gerrit Cole starting and Giancarlo Stanton back from injury, they have a good chance of having a great Opening Day game. If you are feeling risky, you may even want to stick them for the run line too.
Bet on This Game Here
More baseball betting news:
- Los Angeles Dodgers vs Los Angeles Angels Predictions, Picks & Odds 7/21/20
- Is Baseball Coming Back In 2020?
- Washington Nationals at Houston Astros Game 7 Predictions, Picks & Betting Odds – World Series
- Washington Nationals at Houston Astros Game 6 Preview, Predictions, Picks & Odds – World Series
- Houston Astros at Washington Nationals Game 3 Predictions, Picks & Betting Odds 10/25/19 – World Series