What States Allow Online Poker in the US?
Recently updated on January 16th, 2023
Many states allow online poker in the US. However, it comes with some conditions. Currently, six states legally offer internet poker in the USA for real money. These states include Delaware, New Jersey, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Read this article to learn more about playing online poker in these states.
Top 6 States Offering Online Poker in the US.
- Michigan – The legislature in Michigan legalized online poker in 2018. However, the governor vetoed it. The law was then introduced in 2019 by the current governor. But no Interstate poker network is available in Michigan at the moment.
- Delaware – This is one of the few states in the United States to legalize online gambling, including internet poker. Many sites launched in 2014, like racehorse tracks, offer online poker in the United States. Delaware online poker is connected through a multistate network that includes Nevada and New Jersey.
- New Jersey – This state is the first state to legalize online gambling in the US, including virtual poker. In the past five years, the state has made a revenue of $5 Billion in online gambling. This includes sports betting and casino games.
- Pennsylvania – Online poker was only legalized in Pennsylvania in 2017. Thereafter, online casinos in 2019 were, launched, including poker sites like PokerStars. Many others are expected to follow in the coming years.
- West Virginia – In 2019, lawmakers decided it was prudent to legalize online poker and other casino games in West Virginia. However, poker site operators must get a license from the regulators to be able to offer online poker.
- Nevada – Nevada is considered America’s gambling capital and was one of the first states to legalise online poker in the US. However, only one poker site is available in this state, and other online casino games are not allowed.
Internet Poker in America – Conclusion
When you’re ready to play internet poker in the US, ensure that you play in a state that is allowed. A few states also allow interstate online poker, so ensure you’re playing in the right state.