Fantasy soccer betting has never really been as profitable in the United States as it has in Europe, but in recent years, it really has taken off. With soccer pretty much being the world’s most popular sport, there are loads of fantasy leagues available to US bettors to join, including MLS fantasy soccer options if betting on something closer to home is more important to you. Basically, as with all fantasy sports, creating an imaginary team of real-life players just makes the game even more thrilling and engaging.
If you would like to learn more about fantasy soccer leagues, make sure to keep reading. We have crafted the ultimate fantasy soccer guide down below, where we aim to provide some top fantasy soccer advice as well as point you in the direction of some great fantasy sports websites like DraftKings, where you can play in either daily or season long leagues. So, read on and learn all you need to know about this wonderous global pastime.
Best Fantasy Soccer Betting Sites
Looking to put your daily fantasy soccer picks to the test? Maybe, you just want to show a friend you really know your stuff? Well, you can test out your knowledge at any one of the fantasy football soccer sportsbooks listed down below.
Sports Betting.ag Online
What You’ll Find In Our Fantasy Soccer Guide
- How Fantasy Soccer Works
- Popular Fantasy Soccer Apps and Platforms
- Daily Fantasy Soccer Strategy
- Fantasy Soccer Mock Drafts Explained
- Popular Fantasy Soccer Leagues
- Fantasy Soccer Betting FAQs
Fantasy soccer rules are pretty much the same wherever you choose to play. It’s about creating a roster of players, earning points based on the players’ performances, and becoming champion of the league you are playing in. It’s almost like owning your own soccer club.
The only thing that really changes is the fantasy soccer scoring system used by the platform players choose to use. For example, DraftKings.com may give players more points for a goal than Yahoo does.
If you’re new to fantasy soccer football, it may be difficult to figure out which sites offering leagues are trustworthy or the best. Well, we’ve rounded up the some of the top fantasy soccer sites to place your bets on.
- CBS – CBS Sports is a popular home to hundreds and thousands of US players who enjoy playing fantasy sports, especially soccer. It offers fantasy soccer leagues for most tournaments. The one major absentee is a good Barclays Premier League fantasy soccer contest.
- com – DraftKings introduced fantasy soccer in 2014 with enormous prizes. This site is one of the best places to play fantasy soccer for real money or for fun. US players can take part in fantasy soccer games based on the English Premier League, MLS, and UEFA Champion’s League.
- ESPN – ESPN also offers fantasy sports betting options. Players can also enjoy some free fantasy soccer games through the site.
- Mondogoal – This platform is extremely popular in Europe. It holds an operator’s license in both the US and the UK, so playing fantasy soccer on Mondogoal is completely legit. Mondogoal offers fantasy soccer betting in all the major soccer leagues like the Premier League, Serie A, MLS, and La Liga.
- Playon.co – This fantasy sports platform accepts players from over 100 countries. There are daily and weekly games. Furthermore, the London-based Playon.co has some very innovative competitions for fantasy soccer managers to compete in.
- Yahoo – This is a firm favorite for fantasy sports players around the world. Fans of Yahoo say that it is one of the best betting sites for fantasy soccer. Players will be pleased to know that Yahoo’s fantasy sports app is available on Android and iOS.
There are a number of fantasy soccer tips you need to keep in mind when building your team if you are going to be in any way competitive. Some of the most important include the following:
- Study up on stats – you need to know which players are playing well and in which positions they play if you are going to build the ultimate team. Make sure that you know more than just the general facts. Yes, players like Luiz Suarez and Paul Pogba are big names, but are they really playing as well as their price tag demands? Make sure that they are before you add some big-name dead weight to your squad.
- Keep track of news – it doesn’t help building a team of statistically good players if they are all injured. Make sure that you keep up-to-date with all the latest news within real-life soccer leagues in order to make the best fantasy picks possible.
- Take advantage of good form – remember that players are consistently going through patches of good and bad form. If you see a particular player is on the rise, make sure to take advantage of it. If you’re playing in a season-long league, you could add some much-needed extra points to your tally.
Check out our other popular fantasy sports guides:
A lot of research needs to be done before you can build a strong roster of players. This makes navigating through a fantasy soccer draft, which we’ll cover below, a bit complex.
Drafting Your Team
This begins with a bankroll, which can be set to any amount depending on the league you have joined. Players use this to buy their players for their team. You can spend less than or the whole bankroll but never more. There are a couple of different rules when it comes to drafting. But, the more common ones include:
- A squad must be made up of two goalkeepers, five defenders, three strikers, and five midfielders.
- Some sites limit the number of players you can pick from one team to three.
- The number of times you can transfer players are unlimited before the season starts. But, once it begins, there is a limit. Some allow you to transfer as many times as you want during the season but they do deduct points.
- Players that perform well have higher transfer fees.
Earning Fantasy Soccer Betting Points
Due to the fact that scoring systems differ according to the games, you must study them well before creating a roster. Usually, points are awarded for the following:
- Playing a game
- Playing a major part of the game
- Scored goals
- Clean sheets
- Goalkeeper saves
- Penalty saves
Your team will lose points for the following:
- Conceded goals
- Penalty misses
- Own goals
- Yellow and red cards
The main point of fantasy soccer betting is to create your own team that will go up against other teams in your league. The team with the most points at the end of a season wins.
There are public leagues and private leagues. The first kind of league – public leagues – are open to anyone. They are a good place for new players to practice. Once you’ve gained experience, you can create a private league and challenge friends or other seasoned players.
Many of the best leagues center around the following popular real-life tournaments
- UEFA Champion’s League – the biggest multi-nation European soccer club competition sees some absolutely electrifying matches each season as the best teams in the world battle it out.
- Fantasy Soccer EPL – the English Premier League is the biggest professional soccer tournament in the world. Based in England, the league is home to huge names, such as Manchester United and Liverpool FC.
- Liga MX – the first division in Mexico has some pretty strong fantasy soccer leagues based on it.
- World Cup – as one of the most watched sporting events in the world, it is unsurprising that loads of people join World Cup fantasy leagues every four years.
Fantasy Soccer MLS
With Major League Soccer being the premier North American soccer league, we decided to pay a little extra attention to it. It’s made up of 24 teams – 21 from the US and 3 from Canada. With the growing popularity of this league, US fantasy sports fanatics now have a local league to base their picks on.
Here we’ll cover some of the more commonly asked fantasy soccer betting questions.
Is fantasy soccer betting legal in the US?
Yes, playing fantasy soccer is 100% legal. Along with other fantasy sports betting, betting on fantasy soccer is legal in most states. Our recommended sports betting sites only operate in states where fantasy soccer and other fantasy sports are considered games of skill. It wasn’t listed in the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) of 2016 list of banned games.
How do I learn fantasy soccer?
There are many websites, like ours, that offer free guidance on fantasy soccer. Additionally, you can ask a friend or family member into fantasy soccer to invite you into a league and be your mentor.
Is there a free version of fantasy soccer?
You’ll find free version to play for fun at all major fantasy sports betting sites. However, you can’t win any real money. Play as much as you like to get yourself better at the game. Once you’re confident with your newly acquired skills, you can move into the real money mode.