National Hockey League betting (also known as NHL betting) is extremely prominent in the USA. With the league being the most popular ice hockey league in the world, this is really not a surprise. The NHL sees 31 teams from the United States of America and Canada battle it out to win the Stanley Cup trophy. This trophy is the oldest professional sports trophy in North America, adding to the value of lifting the cup. US bettors can get in on the action by placing a bet on their favorite team and players achieving a certain score at online gambling sites.
Find out all you need to know about online NHL betting down below. We go through the different sports betting lines available, NHL rules and tips to keep in mind when betting on the league. So, read on and begin your ice hockey betting journey today!
Best NHL Sports Betting Sites
If you are looking for the best NHL betting site to place wagers online, look no further than the best sports betting sites we have listed below. They will provide you with everything you need to make profitable wagers.
Sports Betting.ag Online
What You’ll Find In Our NHL Guide
- NHL Odds to Win Cup
- NHL Hockey Betting Lines
- Top NHL Betting Tips
- NHL Hockey Rules
- Best NHL Team Guides
- Stanley Cup Betting and NHL Futures
- Puck Line Betting Explained
- Understanding NHL Public Betting
- NHL Hockey Rules
NHL betting, in essence, is not that difficult to understand. It is a low scoring sport which means that the odds of predicting the scores correctly are in your favor. Players should note that NHL betting odds are not fixed. Different sportsbooks promote different odds to suit their bottom line. The hockey bet odds change based on how the betting community choose to bet. The more punter bet on a favorite team, the less the payout potential. In order to understand how the odds work for ice hockey, you have to know the different hockey betting lines.
Hockey betting lines are not too different from other sports. However, they do have their own unique betting structures and jargon. Here’s a list of the types of bets you can place on an NHL match.
- Puck Lines – A puck line hockey bet (also known as NHL handicap betting) is similar to spread betting in which there’s a set amount of goals that a team needs to win or lose by in order for bettors to win. National Hockey League bookies place these offers as means of balancing the scales for the underdog teams when playing against favorites.
- Moneyline – This is the most popular betting option. It involves selecting the winner of a hockey match. It is wise for inexperienced bettors to use the moneyline bet calculator to find out the payout potential before they bet. Moneyline bets pay out the least when you bet on favorites.
- Over/Unders – across the USA and Canada, gamblers that make NHL over-under picks are more likely to win. Also known as totals betting, it involves predicting the overall score of the game using the points scored by both teams. Having mentioned how the game of hockey is a low scoring sport, the NHL betting odds are pretty favorable with over unders.
- Futures – NHL futures are predictions on which team will win championship games. Futures bets contain large payouts due to the fact that wins are projected over a long period and anything can happen during the regular season.
We won’t claim to have the best NHL betting strategy, there are a few general tips for betting on the sport we recommend using when wagering online. These include the following:
- Be Flexible with Your Betting Portfolio – make sure that you don’t just focus on moneyline bets when having a look at NHL gambling lines. Ultimately, there is a load of cash to be made on puck lines and totals too if you are keen to learn how.
- Consider Live Betting – live bets are a good way to make extra cash. Although we don’t recommend that you make rash decisions with these betting options, we do suggest that you make the most of them if there seems to be a good opportunity to make cash.
- Focus on Defense – often good defensive lines are better at doing their jobs than good offensive lines. We recommend that you pay good attention to teams with a good defense as they often tend to go further in the league than those who just focus on offense.
- Pay Attention to Line Changes – it is important to note that betting lines often change. When they do, it is generally for a good reason. We recommend paying good attention to these changes and trying to capitalize on them.
For more of the latest NHL sports betting tips, we recommend that you keep it here at Gambling360.com. We often cover the latest developments in the NHL in our blog.
Check out our other popular betting guides:
As in any formal sporting code, there’s general terms and conditions that bettors need to abide by. Here are some of the standard NHL rules on how to bet on hockey in the US:
- US gamblers must understand that all bets are based on the regular period of the game. Overtime scores do not have any bearing on the original bet.
- For individual player bets to apply, the player must be on the field of play or risk being considered a “non-runner”.
- Unless stated otherwise, bets and winning scores are calculated on the selected period. This relates to the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Period bets in ice hockey.
- The outright winner of the regular season bet will only be valid once all teams have played all their games.
This NHL hockey review covers each type of hockey bet you can find when betting online . While bettors will find different odds and betting lines from different sportsbooks, the general premise remains the same. Choose any of our recommended US bookies and bet on your team to win.
Looking to get ahead with betting on your favorite team? Maybe there are a handful of sides you choose to focus on when placing your wagers? Our team-specific guides down below will ensure that you make the best bets on any team you choose to wager on in the NHL.
Think you know which team has what it takes to win the Stanley Cup this year? Perhaps, you believe that Alex Ovechkin will be the league’s top scorer this year? Well, then you may want to look at placing a future bet on the NHL.
There are loads of future bets available at the recommended sportsbooks above. Stanley Cup betting is the most prominent form of future betting on the NHL. Every year, several avid hockey bettors attempt to predict which team will lift the Stanley Cup, long before it actually happens. While these bets are extremely difficult to predict correctly, the promised payouts are huge.
Puck line betting is another popular form of betting on ice hockey matches. As explained above, it really is another form of spread betting, but specifically for hockey. (Think of it as similar to the MLB and run line betting.)
Basically, a sportsbook declares a team in a match-up the favorite to win it. They then add a scoreline that the favorite will need to pass in order for bets made on the team to be successful. This is generally set at 1.5 goals. Bettors than make wagers on whether the team will be able to overcome the handicap.
Many US bettors prefer this form of betting due to the competitive odds available and the increased knowledge required to make successful picks. If you’re keen to find out more, make sure to read our dedicated guide.
We always recommend that US bettors have a look at NHL betting trends before placing their wager. This way they get a chance to see how the public believes the match will play out, before actually placing your bet.
Essentially, it is a way in which bettors can make a more educated bet on upcoming matches. As a general, many suggest that betting against the public is a good strategy. However, this is debatable. We certainly recommend that all bettors fully research their bets before blindly just betting against the public.
Overall, betting against the public can work, but it is important to notice when the favorite is thought to be a favorite for a reason.
The National Hockey League (NHL) has had a long and prosperous history. Formed in 1917, the league acted as a successor to the National Hockey Association, and featured a total of six teams: the Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, Chicago Blackhawks, New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs (all of which are still active.)
In the early years, the league had great competition from a load of different hockey leagues around the country. The Stanley Cup was a multi-league competition during this period, so teams from around the country competed to reign as the dominant force of hockey around the country.
Although the league had expanded its list of teams during the 1930s, featured teams would only move past the “Original Six” in the mid-1960s, in which six new teams were added to the league. I the ears since then, the league’s popularity has only grown tenfold.
Over the years, as the league grew, so did interest in betting on it. Today, NHL betting is one of the most popular forms of sports betting in the United States. Bettors will find loads of great lines available on hockey games at the top online sportsbooks recommended on this site.