Online roulette is one of the most popular casino games at gambling sites. The simple game of chance is based entirely on luck, but that doesn’t take away from the experience. In fact, we’d argue that it makes it more exciting.
If you want to learn more about playing roulette online, keep reading. In seconds, you could be spinning the wheel, waiting for the ball to stop, and then, when it is all over, finding out if you have won. Below you will find information on how to play, the variations available, and gameplay tips.
- Play Roulette Online for Real Money Here
- Top 5 Online Roulette Casinos
- Online Roulette Variations
- How Roulette Wheels Work
- Roulette Rules Explained
- How to Play Online Roulette for Real Money
- Roulette Bets
- Online Roulette Tips and Tricks
- List of Betting Systems
- Live Dealer Roulette
- Free Online Roulette
- Real Money Roulette – FAQs
Struggling to pick a casino from our list? Well, here are our five favorite online roulette casinos:
1. Cherry Gold Casino
Cherry Gold Casino has a couple of online roulette games available, including American, French, and European. It also has a $7,500 welcome bonus offer. If all of that wasn’t enough, the casino has a 97.06% return-to-player percentage. So, you have a good chance of actually winning at this online casino.
2. DomGame Casino
DomGame has got a big 300% match bonus and provides you with access to Rival’s online roulette titles. Variations include American and European roulette. We prefer Realtime Gaming’s titles, but the casino has a solid return to player percentage of 98.10%
3. Eclipse Casino
Spinning the online roulette wheel at Eclipse Casino is so much fun. The site has a great layout that makes finding games so easy. There is also a 98.22% return-to-player percentage, so you have a good chance of winning.
4. Two-Up Casino
Two-Up Casino may look like a casino only aimed at Australians, but US players can also sign up. The casino is well-optimized for mobile and offers some pretty enticing bonuses and promotions. They have a ton of fun online roulette games, so there are many reasons to join this casino!
5. Golden Lion Casino
Golden Lion Casino is one of our all-time favorite gambling sites. You get a big $3,500 bonus when joining and access to some online roulette games that will entertain you for hours on end!
A few roulette variations exist. The most popular are:
As the name suggests, European roulette is the most popular variation of roulette in European casinos.
We recommend you stick to playing European Roulette online. The main reason is that this variation doesn’t have an additional “00” compartment. In effect, this single addition doubles the game’s house edge.
Unsurprisingly, American roulette is the most popular variation of the game in the United States. Go to any casino in Vegas, and you will only find American wheels.
As mentioned above, the wheel in this variation features an extra double “00” compartment. This makes it harder to win, even when only placing even money bets.
French roulette is the most traditional form of the game. This variation uses a standard European roulette wheel. However, two additional rules make it unique:
- The “La Partage” rule states you will only lose half your bet if the ball lands on the wheel’s 0 compartment after an outside bet has been placed.
- The “En Prison” rule gives you a second chance to win your bet back if the ball lands on 0 during an inside bet.
Mini-roulette is a smaller version of European Roulette. Instead of the wheel featuring numbers 0 to 36, it features numbers 0 to 12.
Multi-ball roulette is played with multiple balls. More balls give you more opportunities to win, but this comes at the cost of payout size.
Most players don’t know how online roulette games work. As with most online casino games, roulette uses a random number generator (RNG) to determine results. An RNG is an algorithm used to produce random outcomes.
Although no computer can truly produce random results, an RNG tries to create an algorithm that does not behave predictably. Thus, an RNG is so close to being random that it may as well be considered such.
If you do not believe us, online roulette simulators allow you to test the software you use in virtual gaming experiences. With simulators, you can test games for as long as you like without risking any real money.
The rules of online roulette are pretty straightforward. Here is all you need to get started:
- All roulette games consist of a spinning wheel on a table.
- The wheel usually consists of 37 or 38 numbers, depending on the variation. The numbers are 0-36 or 00-36.
- You must place your bet on the table before the round begins.
- Pay attention to the table layout. You need to place your bet on a specific area of the table to indicate a certain bet.
- When the round begins, a ball is dropped on the spinning wheel by the dealer. In roulette, the dealer is called a croupier.
- Online roulette games remove the live croupier and automates the process with an RNG.
- When the wheel comes to a stop and the ball lands in a compartment, all bets are compared to the result. Winning bets are paid out.
Some players are intimidated by online roulette. They think it is a complex game. But roulette is very easy to play.
Just read our step-by-step how to play guide, and you will be good to play your first online roulette game:
- Before an online roulette round begins, you must place a bet. You can do so by putting your chips on the relevant betting option on the table.
- Once you have placed a bet, the wheel is spun. Shortly afterward, the ball is released on the wheel, spinning in the opposite direction.
- When the wheel comes to a halt and the ball lands in one of the wheel’s numbered compartments, you will know the game’s result.
- Bets are compared to the result. If you placed a successful bet, you are paid out.
Here is a list of all the bets available in online roulette. We recommend you stick to outside bets rather than inside bets.
- Straight – a bet on one single number.
- Split – a bet on two adjacent numbers.
- Street – a wager on three sequential numbers on the board.
- Trio – a bet on three numbers, including 0.
- Corner – a wager on four numbers in a specific area of the wheel.
- First Four – a bet on the first four numbers on the wheel (0, 1, 2, 3).
- Double Street – a bet on six numbers.
- Hi-Lo – a bet covering half the numbers on the wheel. Either 1 to 18 or 19 to 36.
- Red/Black – a bet on either a red or black final number.
- Odds/Evens – a bet on the ball landing in a compartment with an odd or even number.
- Dozen – a bet on 12 numbers.
- Column – a bet on 12 sequential numbers.
Check out our other roulette guides:
Most gamblers are looking for an online roulette strategy to ensure they win every single game. However, there is no such thing. That said, there are a few tips you can use to increase your odds in online roulette, including:
Stick to European Roulette
As mentioned above, American Roulette wheels have an extra compartment. This small addition increases the game’s house edge from 2.70% to 5.36%. So, it makes sense to play European roulette to increase your odds of winning because it features a lower house edge.
Focus on Outside Bets
For the best chance of winning at online roulette, we recommend focusing on outside bets. These are bets on a single color, odds, evens, or the first half or second half of the number selection. There is a near 50/50 chance of winning these bets.
Over the years, online roulette has come to be associated with many betting systems. While betting systems will not ensure you win every game, they bring a more structured gameplay approach, meaning you aren’t betting without a plan.
The overall goal of a betting system is to ensure you leave a gaming session with the cash you started with. According to our players, the following are the best systems:
- Martingale (Best for Negative Progressive Betting)
- Labouchere (Great for High Rollers)
- Fibonacci (Amazing for Traditionalists)
- D’Alembert (Outstanding for Low-Risk Gamblers)
- Reverse Martingale (Excellent for Taking Advantage of Winning Streaks)
Some players believe that playing online roulette for money is only worthwhile if you play with other players. If you believe as much, you will be happy to know that it is possible to play live dealer roulette games online.
Love games allow you to play with a real-life dealer from the comfort of your own home. However, you will need a stable internet connection with a speed of at least 5mbps to play these games.
Some players like playing free online roulette games because they don’t like the risk of losing money. Playing free games allows you to practice strategies without the threat of real-life repercussions.
With mobile technology, it is possible to access free games anytime. So, the next time you find yourself with a free minute, remember you could be playing free online roulette.
Yes, you can make money playing online roulette. Join one of our recommended casinos to play for real money now.
1. Irish Luck Casino
2. BoVegas Casino
3. Golden Lion Casino
4. Supernova Casino
5. Exclusive Casino
Yes and no. If you play at a casino that is authorized and regulated by industry watchdogs, such as eCOGRA and Technical Services Testing, you will most likely play fair games. However, if you decide to take a chance on a casino that isn’t tested regularly, there is a chance you will play rigged games.
Yes, roulette is all luck. Unless the game is rigged, roulette games are based on fortune. You should stop playing if you start believing you have some effect on the game’s outcome.
There is no way to ensure you win an online roulette game every time. Don’t believe guides that say they offer tips that get you wins every time.
We recommend sticking with outside bets. An outside bet pays 1 to 1 and provides you with a 50/50 chance of winning.
There is no foolproof strategy for getting rich playing any casino game. You need to be especially lucky to get rich while playing roulette.
The same way you win roulette with a big bankroll: luck. Many online guides recommend you should use a betting strategy, which we won’t argue against; however, this will in no way increase your chances of winning the game.
Statistically, red comes up more often than black according to some studies. This doesn’t mean we think you should only bet on red.
No, they do not, despite the rumors. The repercussions a casino faces if it gets caught cheating are severe.
Check out our other games pages: