Fantasy sports refer to online games in which players assemble their own imaginary teams based off players and teams in a real-life sports league. The performance of a player’s team is determined by the performance of the real-life player in a real league game. Although fantasy sports have been around since the 1950s, they have seen a burst in popularity in the internet era. Massive fantasy sports betting sites like DraftKings and FanDuel offer loads of league contests based on the NFL, MLB, NBA and the NHL, among other popular international sports leagues.
If you’re an American looking to get into the exciting action of fantasy sports betting, you’ve come to the right place. With our wonderful fantasy sports betting guide, players will learn all they need to know about fantasy sports gambling. This includes how league work, popular fantasy sports, betting strategies, and not to mention all the best sites to bet at.
How Do Fantasy Sports Work?
Playing fantasy sports is rather simple. As previously stated, leagues are based off real-life season long sports leagues. Members of a fantasy league take on the role of coach as they build a team roster based on the real-life sportsmen currently active in a particular league. Fantasy coaches take all their knowledge of the sport in question and build the best team they can. It’s essentially a chance to put your money where your mouth if you think you can do a better job than the biggest coaches in the game.
What is Fantasy Sports Betting?
There isn’t really all that much difference between fantasy sports gambling and regular old sports betting. They are both inherently dependent on sports to work and require players to be very knowledgeable in the area. Essentially, players bet on how their team, individual players or groups of players will perform on a particular match day. The player who tops the league at the end of the season also often gets a big prize.
At Gambling 360, we are all avid sports bettors and have been involved in fantasy leagues for some time now. We love this new addition to the sports betting family as it makes watching sports all the more interactive. Also, who wants to miss out on the bragging rights should you win your league, right?
Types of Fantasy Sport Bets
There are many different types of games available to play at the best fantasy league betting websites. Some of the most popular include the following:
- Head-to-Head Contest – two players go up against each other and the winner is awarded a cash prize. This is the perfect option for two friends who love sports.
- Cash Games – players either create or join a league and just as in real-life, the teams that perform the best win wonderful cash rewards.
- Leagues with Guaranteed Prize Pools – players are made to pay a small fee to join a particular league. Players then compete against each other to win a big cash prize. These leagues do not need a specific number of players in order to be held.
Popular Fantasy Sports Leagues
There are a couple of really popular leagues available at the best fantasy sports betting sites. Some of our favourites include the following:
- Fantasy Football – bring out your inner Bill Belichick in online fantasy football sports betting leagues. As the most popular fantasy sport in the world, thousands of Americans form their own fantasy teams each year.
- Fantasy Baseball – often dubbed as America’s favourite pastime, the nation’s biggest baseball leagues have spawned loads of fantasy contests. There are loads of different strategies to explore and employ in your fantasy baseball team that may make the difference.
- Fantasy Hockey – increase the adrenaline rush watching a good, old hockey game induces by creating your own fantasy team. Players can win big with daily sports matches or a season long game based on leagues such as the NHL.
- Fantasy Basketball – while basketball is not the most popular option at daily fantasy sports betting sites, it is coming up. This is particularly due to the fact that NBA fantasy drafts haven’t quite been worked out yet at major sites. Despite this, we still have a list of sites that offer NBA fantasy betting as an option available to bettors.
- Fantasy Soccer – also known as European football, soccer is supposedly the most popular sport in the world. There are loads of fantasy leagues based on the sport’s most well-renown leagues, such as the English Premier League, La Liga and the Bundesliga, among others.
Fantasy Sports Betting Tips and Strategies
While more specialised fantasy sports betting strategies may vary from sport to sport, there are a few general tips that can be useful in getting started with a team. This includes helping you pick the right sport, league and rules for your preferences. So, without further ado, here are some top pro fantasy league gambling tops:
- Popular sports often have multiple different fantasy leagues surrounding them. What is important to realize is that these leagues have different sets of rules and scoring options which impacts gameplay. Ultimately, you want to sign up for a league with rules that you feel comfortable with.
- Pay attention to how long you can maintain your interest in a particular sport/game. Signing up for a season long MLB fantasy league is all fine and good, but are you still going to be interested in keeping up with all 162 games half way through the season? If you find yourself struggling to answer that question, then we advise that you first try your hand at some daily fantasy game contests.
- It is important to note that your strategy should differ slightly when approaching fantasy sports betting events that are season long vs a single game. If you’re invested in a season long league, your aim should be to find the most consistent players for the best prizes possible. However, if daily contests, you may want to focus on finding players that have recently proven to be on form.
- With sports like soccer, basketball, fighting matches and hockey, we recommend playing daily fantasy games more regularly. There are loads of matches being played on the regular and the intense but quick nature of these sports allow players to bet on the fly, focusing on elements like odds and the top-rated players.
Is Fantasy Sports Betting Legal?
This is currently a huge issue within in the United States, particularly with the recent Supreme Court ruling on sports betting. Ultimately, the answer to this question is really dependent on the state you live in and the laws surrounding sports betting there. Some states consider fantasy sports betting to be somewhat of a legal grey area meaning that it is allowed whereas others do not.
States that have formerly legalised fantasy sports betting include New York, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Missouri, Virginia, Indiana, Mississippi and Colorado, among others. We can also say that there are four states where DFS contests are definitely illegal and these are Arizona, Washington, Montana and Iowa.
However, be sure to keep checking your state laws surrounding the activity to see if any amendments have been made in the recent past.
Best Fantasy Sports Betting Sites
These are the best fantasy league betting sites currently available to Americans. Here gamblers will find fantasy options for all the biggest sporting leagues and events in the world, from the NFL Super Bowl to the FIFA World Cup.