Poker is a game that meshes strategy with chance to create an experience that is both exciting and rewarding. It is estimated that around 12% of gamblers play poker on a regular basis. In the past, you could only access the game in card rooms, casinos, and at kitchen room tables. But now you can play online poker real money at casino sites in a number of variations.
If you would like to find out more about playing poker online, you have come to the right place. We have created the game guide here, which covers all you need to know about playing this classic casino game. Some topics we cover include how to play the game, the most popular variations, and tips and tricks, among other helpful areas. We also list the best online gambling sites so that you can get started right away.
Here is a list of highly-rated online poker sites. Each offers you the chance to try a wide variety of poker games with astonishing payout rates. So, what are you waiting for?
- Play Poker Real Money Here
- Poker: Why You Should Play It
- Poker Sites: How We Choose the Best
- How to Play Poker – Step-by-Step
- Poker Games: Variations
- Play Poker for Money: Tips and Tricks
- Poker with Friends: Live Games
- Best Poker App
- Play Live Poker Gambling Games
- Free Poker No Download
- Is Online Poker Legal in the US?
- History of Poker
- Poker FAQs
Although poker is mostly based on luck, there is an element of strategy attached to the game. Through keeping a cool head and working on your bluffing skills, you can pull off the impossible and win big sums of money in tournaments that are hosted on a regular basis.
Online poker sites provide also provide players with a number of variations that aren’t always readily available at your nearest brick-and-mortar casino. You can play games such as Texas Hold’em, Five Card Draw, Caribbean Stud, Three Card Poker and so much more, all from the comfort of their own home. With so many advantages, why wouldn’t you be interested in playing online?
Nobody wants to get duped when signing up at a poker site, which is why we put every casino we come across through a strict review process. In this way, we ensure that the site is safe to join. Here are some of the key areas we focus on in our reviews:
- Safety – we determine whether the site is safe to use. This means checking that it is registered and regulated by the appropriate governing authorities. This is to ensure that the casino does not rig games.
- Bonuses – every casino offers you a bonus for signing up nowadays. However, only some are really worth taking. We review conditions to see whether bonuses are worthwhile rather than just decoration.
- Payout Speed – nobody wants to wait forever to get their winnings. While no casino will ever pay you out instantly, if you have to wait several months for your money, it’s not worth signing up at the site.
- Games – not everybody is keen on playing on the old Five Card Draw or the tournament favorite Texas Hold’em. Casinos need to offer a variety of options.
- Mobile – sites need to be compatible with mobile or offer an app as more than 38% of all casino gaming is done on mobile.
Playing a real poker online game is very easy. If the only thing stopping you from enjoying this game is that you don’t know how the game works, then read on. We have created a short how to play poker guide which focuses on the basics.
- Choose Your Variation – pick the game you would like to play. There are two types of games: ring games and tournaments. You can join ring games whenever they like, but online poker tournaments are available only for a limited time.
- Place a Bet – each variation of poker starts with you placing an ante (a bet) before the game starts.
- Get Your Cards – depending on the variation being played, you will be dealt between two to five cards. Your next move is based on the score of your hand. You can either raise, call, or fold.
- Showdown – how the showdown works depends on the variation of the game. The gist of is that cards begin to be revealed and you get another opportunity to bet or fold.
- Reveal Your Hand – everyone reveals their hands and totals are calculated to determine who is the winner.
There are loads of poker variations available. Here are some of the most popular:
- Texas Holdem – this is the most popular form of poker for tournaments. The game is easy to learn and offers opportunities to try out new strategies. The game can be quite volatile, so it is not for everyone.
- Three Card Poker – also known as 3 Card Poker, is played with only three cards meaning that hand combinations are adapted to fit gameplay. Although the game is loved for its fast pace and exciting nature, doesn’t pay out as much as other variations.
- Seven-Card Stud – although this variation is not as popular as it once was, there are still loads of players who enjoy it. There game features no community cards and all betting limits are fixed, meaning less volatility.
- Omaha Holdem – this form of poker is more popular with European players due to its fast nature and high betting limits. Players get four cards and while the rest are community cards.
- Five Card Draw – this variation is considered to be the most traditional variation of poker. Players get five cards and attempt to create the best hand. The game is renowned for being heavily reliant on bluffing.
Many players are interested in how they can become pros. While we can’t say that our tips will help you win every single game you play, they have proven to improve your odds. Here are some of our best poker tips:
- Fold if you are unsure – if you are unsure about the quality of a hand, rather fold than take a risk on it. You don’t want to go into a showdown with a massive stake with a pair of twos.
- Take the game seriously – poker is serious business. If you want to make money with the game, you need to understand how the game works and refine your strategy to be as effective as possible.
- Be realistic – you should not expect to win every single game of poker you play. Be prepared to face some losses and understand that it is all part of gambling.
- Practice with free games – practice your strategy with free games. This way you get to see how poker works and whether or not strategies will work.
The best online poker sites for real money allow you to play with a real-life dealer. Here you play with a dealer in a brick-and-mortar casino via livestream. You communicate your decisions using onscreen prompts or text.
To play live poker online, you need to have a stable internet connection. So, practice your poker face, place your chips down and win big while playing with other real people from the comfort of your home!
One of the best ways to play online poker is on your mobile phone. Most sites are compatible with mobile devices. The only requirement needed to play on mobile is a stable internet connection.
If you have that, you are good to play from wherever you are and at any time of day. So, it doesn’t matter if you are waiting in line, sitting in a train or standing in a park, any time is poker time, so long as you’ve got network connection.
Free games is a standard at casino sites. There are loads of reasons to have a go at free online poker games, including the following:
- Free games allow you to practice new poker variations at no risk.
- You get the chance to practice strategies and see whether they work at no risk.
- You get to keep playing even when your bankroll is bust.
There are many players who would like to try poker online, but are held back by the whole question of whether or not it is legal. Well, the answer to the online poker real money USA legal question is really dependent on the gambling regulations employed in the state you live in.
It is legal to play online in some states, whereas in others, it is not. So, you need to check with your state legislator before playing online. The states that have legalized online poker are:
- New Jersey
Online poker has been around for more than 20 years. It all started in 1998 with a little site called Planet Poker, which used to allow gamblers to play Texas Hold’em for real money. The scene grew pretty quickly over the nearly decade with notable online players even going on to win the World Series of Poker.
However, the growth of industry slowed down when the Unlawful Internet Enforcement Act was passed in 2006 in which payments made to poker sites were banned. This would see many sites shut down by the Department of Justice and players experiencing heavy losses.
2012 proved to be a landmark year as smartphones and tablets saw a boom in popularity. Poker sites moved into the mobile market and players were now able to take their online gaming experience with them wherever they went. The following year would see several states begin to launch their own poker sites to capitalize on the popularity.
Since then, online poker has continued to grow with so many options available to players in the form of online poker rooms. Will your online experience make you the next World Series of Poker champ?
Check out our other games pages:
Can you play real money poker online?
Yes, you can. It is one of the games most commonly available at casino sites.
Are online poker games rigged?
If you play at any of our recommended online casinos, we can assure you that the poker is not rigged. That stated, if you choose to play at a blacklisted or even seedy looking casino, we cannot guarantee that you stand a fair chance of winning.
Is it legal to play online poker in the US?
The answer to this question is dependent on the state you live in. Some states allow players to gamble online whereas others don’t.
What is the best online poker?
The best online poker sites are as follows:
- Lucky Red
- Irish Luck
- Golden Lion
Which poker game is most profitable?
It is suggested that No Limit Texas Hold’em is the best variation to play in terms of profitability.
Is live poker easier than online?
Yes, in some senses. Online players tend to be a little more frugal, so they don’t place big bets as often. In antithesis to this, they are also likely to play more hands due to opportunities to use tracking software.
What percentage of poker is luck?
There is no definitive answer on this. Some experts believe that it is 100% luck and others believe that is about 38% skill and 62% luck.
How do you win at poker every time?
There is no way to win every poker round you play. There are some strategies to ensure to lessen the odds but that’s about it.
What percentage of poker players are profitable?
It is estimated that less than 10% of players are profitable. So, you shouldn’t go into poker games thinking that you are going to win every round.
Is online poker worth playing?
Yes and no. If you like playing poker for the love of it, then yes. However, if you are looking to make money, then you’ve got to come to terms with the fact that you are going to lose a lot of money.