Poker is a game that meshes strategy with chance to create an experience that is both exciting and rewarding. Previously, US gamblers could only play poker in card rooms, casinos, and kitchen room tables. But now avid players are able to play the game online at the best online poker sites for real money. Sites often feature a number of online gambling poker variations that are exclusive to the site.
If you would like to learn more about playing poker online, you have come to the right place. We have created the ultimate online poker real money guide here, which covers all US players need to know about playing this classic casino game at US casinos online. Some topics we cover include how to play the game, the most popular variations, and tips and tricks for playing online, among other helpful areas. So, read on and learn what you need to know about playing online poker for money in America.
These are some of the most highly-rated online poker casinos in the USA at the moment. Each offers players the chance to play a wide variety of poker games and feature astonishing payout rates. So, what are you waiting for? Play online today!
- Best Online Poker Sites for US Players 2020
- Play Poker Online in the United States
- How We Choose the Best Online Poker Sites
- How to Play Poker – Step-by-Step
- Poker Variations
- Top Online Poker Tips and Tricks for US Players
- Best Online Poker App
- Play Live Online Poker Gambling Games
- Best Online Poker Free Games
- Is Online Poker Legal in the US?
- History of Poker
- Poker FAQs
Online poker is probably the most sought-after casino game in the United States. As we explained above, the game, although based on luck, does have an element of strategy associated with it. Through keeping a cool head and working on their bluffing skills, players are able to pull off the impossible and win big sums of money in online poker.
Online casinos understand that online poker is extremely popular with US players, which is why they do their best to provide players with a number of variations to play to their heart’s content. US gamblers are able to play games such as Texas Hold’em, Five Card Draw, Caribbean Stud, Three Card Poker and so much more, all from the comfort of their own home.
US players want to know that they are not getting duped when they sign up to an online poker site. It is for this reason that we make sure to only recommend top online poker sites for real money to our players. We are able to ensure we do so by putting every poker casino we come across through a strict vetting process, in which we focus on the following areas:
- Safety – the very first thing we do is check that a poker casino is in fact safe to use. This means checking that it is registered and regulated by the appropriate governing authorities. This is to ensure that they are not supplying rigged games. In addition, we also check that they make use of secure socket layer encryption for transactions.
- Bonuses – every casino offers players bonuses nowadays but only some are really worth taking. We ensure that we recommend only casinos with deals that are sure to add to your playtime and give you reasonable opportunities of taking winnings home.
- Payout Speed – nobody wants to wait forever to get their winnings, which is why we try to find casinos that payout players quickly. While no casino will ever provide players with an instant cashout, if you’re waiting several months for your money, there is a huge problem with the site.
- Games – not everybody is always keen on playing on the old Five Card Draw classic poker version or the online poker tournament favorite Texas Hold’em. It is for this reason that we try to look for casinos that offer a variety of options to players.
- Mobile – most players access casino games through their mobile devices so we try to find sites compatible with mobile or offer an app.
Playing a real poker online game is very easy. If the only thing stopping you from enjoying this gambling game at a gambling site is the fact that you don’t know how to play, then read on. We have created a quick how to play poker guide which will teach players the overall basics of online real money poker.
If you want more specialized information on a particular variation, you will have to look at our dedicated page to that variation:
- Choose Your Variation – pick a poker game you would like to play. Bear in mind that there are two types of poker offering available online: ring games and tournaments. Players can join ring games whenever they like, but online poker tournaments are available only for a limited time.
- Place a Bet – each variation of poker starts with players placing an ante (a bet) before the game starts.
- Get Your Cards – depending on the variation being played, players will be dealt between two and five cards. Players base their next move on the basis of their hand. They can either raise, call, or fold. It is important to note that the more you bet, the more you win, but remember to play responsibly.
- Showdown – how the showdown works depends on the variation of the game being played. The gist of it though is that cards begin to be revealed and players may get a second opportunity to bet or opt out of the game.
- Reveal Your Hand – players reveal their hands and totals are calculated to determine who is the winner. If you are lucky, you may have won the game.
There are loads of different poker variations available to play online. For the convenience of US players, we have listed some of the most popularly available at top casino sites:
- Texas Holdem Poker Online – this is the most popular form of poker in the United States. It is easy to learn and offers loads of opportunities to try out new strategies if you like. The only major issue some players have with the game is that it can be quite volatile.
- Three Card Poker Online – also known as 3 Card Poker online, is played with only three cards meaning that potential winning hands are shortened to fit the gameplay style. The game is loved by many due to its fast pace and exciting nature. That said, the game doesn’t pay out as much as other poker games.
- Seven-Card Stud – while this is no longer the most popular poker variation in the United States, there are still loads of players who enjoy a good hand very now and then. It differs quite a bit from Texas Holdem in that there are no community cards and all betting limits are fixed.
- Omaha Holdem – this form of poker is more popular with European players due to its fast nature and high betting limits. Loads of US gamblers also enjoy the game too. Players get four cards and the rest are community-based cards.
- Five Card Draw – this variation is often considered the most traditional variation of poker. Players get five cards and attempt to create the best hand with that. The game is renowned for being heavily reliant on bluffing.
Every US player wants to be an online poker pro, which is why many are often on the lookout for some gameplay tips. While we can’t say that our tips will get you the win each and every time, they have proven to be rather helpful to our experts in recent years. So, without further ado, here are some of our best poker tips!
- Fold if you are unsure – if you are unsure about the quality of a hand, rather fold than take a risk on it. You don’t want to go into a showdown with a massive stake with a pair of twos being the main draw of your hand.
- Take the game seriously – poker is serious business. If you want to make any money in the game, you are going to need to make sure that you understand how to play the game properly and refine your strategy to be as effective as possible.
- Manage your bankroll efficiently – as much fun as it is to place big bets in the hope of winning big cash prizes, you need to remember to play responsibly. You don’t want to place your entire bankroll on a single hand as this will most likely lead to a quick end to your gaming session.
- Be realistic – no player should expect to win every single game of poker they ever play. Prepare to face some losses and understand that it is all part of playing a gambling game.
- Practice free games before playing for real money – practice your online poker cash strategy with free games. This way you get to see how the game works and whether or not particular strategies will work or not.
The best online poker sites for real money allow them to play poker with a real-life dealer. How does this work, you may be asking? Well, the best online poker sites real money often live dealer sections too. Here gamblers play with a real dealer in a real casino that they are able to access via livestream. The player then uses on screen prompts to communicate their next move and text to chat with the dealer.
Although you need to ensure that you have a stable internet connection in order to play live poker online, you will see that the experience is totally worth it. So, practice your poker face, place your online poker chips down and win big while playing with other real people from the comfort of you home with the wonderous world of live poker casinos.
One of the best ways to play poker online for money is on your mobile phone. All of the best casinos are compatible with mobile, and one of the most popular games available in mobile libraries is poker.
The only requirement needed to play on mobile is a stable internet connection. If you have that, you are good to play all your favorite poker online games from wherever you are and at any time of day. So, it doesn’t matter if you are waiting in line, sitting in a train or standing in a park, anytime is poker time, so long as you’ve got network connection.
Every casino worth its salt allows players to have play poker online free of any charge, which is why US gamblers are able to do so at our recommended casinos. Try all the most popular variations of poker games online at any of the best US casino sites.
There are loads of reasons to have a go at free online poker games. Some of the top reasons include the following:
- The best free online poker no download games allow players to practice new variations of the game without risking any money. You get to learn how the game works without risking any cash.
- Players also get the chance to practice strategies in the online environment and see whether or not they would fare well.
- Last but not least, players get to play the game even if they cannot afford to place any real money wagers.
With all these great benefits, we always recommend that players try free games first before playing real online poker.
There are so many US players who would like to play poker online, but are held back by the whole question of whether or not it is legal. Well, the answer to the online poker real money USA legal question is really dependent on the gambling regulations employed in the state in which you live.
It is important to note that it is legal to play poker online in some states, whereas in others it is not. So, it is very important to check with your state legislator before playing online. For the players who are able to play casino games online, the gambling sites listed above are all legal online poker sites that offer a load of wonderful variations of the game.
Online poker has been around for more than 20 years at this point. It all started in 1998 with a little site called Planet Poker, which used to allow US gamblers play Texas Hold’em for real money. The scene grew pretty quickly for nearly decade with avid online poker players even going on to win the World Series of Poker.
However, the growth of industry slowed down when the Unlawful Internet Enforcement Act was passed in 2006 in which payments made to online poker sites were banned. This would see many sites close down over the coming years, with many sites being shut down by the Department of Justice and players experiencing heavy losses.
The year 2012 proved to be a landmark year as smartphones and tablets saw a boom in popularity. This led to many poker sites moving to the mobile market as players were now able to take their online gaming experience with them wherever they went. The following year would see several states begin to launch their own online poker sites to capitalize on the popularity.
Since then, online poker has continued to grow with so many options available to US players in the form of casino sites or fully dedicated online poker rooms. Will your online experience make you the very next World Series of Poker champ?
Check out our other games pages:
Can you play real money poker online?
Yes, you can. Practically any casino site worth its salt allows US players to have a go at some of the most popular poker variations in the world. Often, there are even options to play the game with a live dealer online.
Are online poker games rigged?
If you play at any of our recommended online casinos, we can assure you that the poker games are not rigged. That stated, if you choose to play at a blacklisted or even seedy looking casino, we cannot guarantee that you are playing fair games.
Is it legal to play online poker in the US?
The answer to this question is dependent on the state in which you live. Some states allow players to gamble online whereas others don’t. It is important to have a look at what is legal in your state before signing up to make a deposit.
What is the best online poker?
The best places to play poker online real money have been listed above. Any of the casinos listed there are sure to provide players with a number of interesting poker options – one of which is sure to fit their desired needs.
Where can I play poker online for real money in the United States?
Well, all of the poker sites recommended on Gambling360.com allow US gamblers to play games through their web browser or through downloading their software. Thus, if you do not want to download the casino software, you don’t have to.
How can I win online poker for US players?
There are no sure ways to win at poker. That stated, there are a few tips and tricks you can use to lower the house edge you’re faced with. We have listed some such tips above and have more spread across our site.
Is online poker profitable?
Yes, it certainly can be, but it is important to remember that this is a gambling game. Thus, there is a big chance that you could lose money too. When playing any sort of game that involves betting, it is important to keep the idea of bankroll management in mind.
Can I play poker online on mobile?
Yes, you can. All you need to do is use your mobile web browser to access the casino, log in to your account and begin playing. Once you have completed this, you can begin playing games. Alternatively, you are also able to download a mobile poker app and play real money games through that platform.
How many decks are used in a game of poker?
This depends on the variation of the game being played as well as the casino you are playing at but usually only a single deck is used.
What is a no limit online poker game?
Well, no limit games remove betting restrictions. This means that you can raise bets to how ever high you want them to be. This is opposed to playing pot limit games that do not allow players to go over the total amount in the pot at one time.