NCAA College Football betting is a big part of the football season. It provides fans with another great opportunity to place sports bets on football games in a competitive league filled with young players trying to make a name for themselves. Games are slightly more unpredictable due to consistently rotating rosters, along with many other factors. However, the gap between lower ranked and higher ranked teams is much larger than in the NFL. This makes some wins easier to predict.
On this page, we created the ultimate guide to betting on the NCAAF. Some of the things we have a look at include the types of college football betting lines available, betting tips for big games held across divisions in the NCAA and how to read odds. So, read on and learn all you need to know about betting on some good, old university football games.
Best NCAA Football Betting Sites
Below are some of the best NCAAF betting sites available to US bettors. They offer a wide variety of college football betting online options on a large number of matches:
Sports Betting.ag Online
What You’ll Find In Our NCAA Football Betting Guide
- NCAA College Football Betting Lines Explained
- NCAA College Football Betting Odds Guide
- Best Online College Football Betting Tips
- Is Betting on College Football Legal?
- NCAA Football Betting Conclusion
In order to make successful bets more often, you need to understand the bets available to you. Below are the most popularly available NCAAF betting lines at our recommended sportsbooks:
- Spreads – the basic aim of a spread bet is to reduce the bias within matchups with a natural favorites and underdogs. Spread bets focus on attempting to predict how much the favored team is likely to win by. Bettors place wagers on teams to win by a larger margin or for the underdog to win. If the suggested sports bookie’s predicted margin is found to be correct, all bets will be refunded.
- Totals – with these wagers, bettors attempt to predict the total number of points that will be scored in a particular game. Sportsbooks will set a predicted total for a particular game, then bettors can select to place over or under bets. Over bets suggest that a game’s final total will be more than the total selected by the betting site, whereas under bets suggest that total be lower than it.
- Moneylines – these are probably the most popular bets made at sportsbooks no matter what the sport is. These bets simply allow bettors to select the winner of a matchup without focusing on point spreads or other stats.
- Futures – these are bets made on a team to win a particular major tournament, such as the Rose Bowl or Orange Bowl, depending on the location and schools involved. It is also possible to place future bets on individual events, such as who may win the Heisman Trophy.
- Props – these are bets made on individual events taking place in a specific game. For example, betting on which team will score first.
With regards to college football betting, most inexperienced US bettors are generally worried about two things:
- How to read college football betting lines
- Reading NCAAF betting odds
Well, seeing as we have already explained how to read betting lines, the next step would be to explain how to read odds. It’s all very easy. When you visit a sportsbook, odds will be displayed in the following manner:
USC Trojans -110
UCLA Bruins +110
In this situation, the Trojans are seen as the favorites to win. A bettor will need to bet US$110 on the Trojans to win $100. However, bettors will need to bet $100 on the Bruins to win $110. We are able to calculate this by looking at the sign next to the team name.
A plus symbol means that the team has been declared an underdog whereas a minus symbol means that a team has been declared a favorite. You win less when you bet on favorites.
Looking for some NCAAF betting tips? Well, we’ve got some listed down below. They aren’t guaranteed to get you wins, but they should get you thinking about your bets more strategically.
- Pay Attention to NCAAF Public Betting Trends – so it is quite important to keep up with college football betting trends. The reason for this is that you get to learn how the public believes a match is going to play out. Some betting experts would recommend betting against the public but remember to think with your head and not your heart/wallet. While a bet on the underdog may pay out a lot, the underdog is considered to be lesser than their opponent for a reason.
- Look for Larger Lines – due to there being such a big talent gap in the NCAAF, it is not uncommon to find ridiculous spread bet lines that almost guarantee you a win if you go for the underdog. Be sure to have a lookout for such lines at the best online sportsbooks.
- Shop for Odds – as already previously mentioned, the skill gap in college football is quite huge. This means it should be easier to predict wins, but that winnings should be exponentially smaller because of this. This is why we encourage bettors to scope out lines to try and find lines a sportsbook may have misjudged.
If you are looking for more college football betting advice, make sure to follow our blog. There we post daily college football betting picks and more. If you do so, you will soon be on your way to making the best college football betting strategy.
It is important to pay attention to the betting laws within your state. Since the SCOTUS ruling in 2018, many states have made it legal to bet on sports within their borders, or at the very least are planning to do so.
If you are not lucky enough to live in one of these states, you can have a look at betting at an offshore sportsbook. Most states do not actively ban online gambling; thus, you will be able to place bets on college football games.
There are loads of wonderful bets that can be made NCAA Football games. However, before making a bet, it is important to ensure that you research the factors surrounding the outcome you’re predicting.
This does not only mean the spread, but also a load of other aspects of football betting college, such as team strengths and weaknesses. If you do all this, you are likely to place successful bets more often than not. (Just make sure that you aren’t overly reliant on betting against college football public betting trends.