The National Football League is the biggest sporting league in the United States, thus it is unsurprising that NFL betting is pretty popular with avid gamblers. There are loads of different betting lines available online. It doesn’t matter whether you want to bet on who will win this year’s Super Bowl or the number of touchdowns Tom Brady will throw in the next Patriots game. Our sports betting sites have got it all for you!
If you’re keen to get in on the NFL betting online action, we have got the ultimate guide to get you started down below. Some of the topics we cover include how to bet on NFL games, betting tips and an explanation of gambling odds. So, read on and learn all you need to know about NFL wagering online in the USA!
Top NFL Football Betting Sites 2019
The sportsbooks listed below are sure to provide US bettors with a load of great NFL betting options at great odds. This includes all the most popular bets, such as moneylines, spread bets and so much more!
Online NFL Betting Lines Explained
There are many different NFL Football betting lines available at the top sportsbooks in the USA. We go through some of the most popular betting options at our recommended online betting sites down below:
- Moneyline Bets – this is a wager placed on either the underdog or the favourite to win. Get a better understanding of Moneyline bets and how they work in our break down of moneyline betting.
- NFL Betting Spreads – this is a type of bet that is meant to level the playing field between the favourite and underdog. A number predetermined by the bookmaker is added to the underdog’s final score and that same number is subtracted from the favorite’s final score.
- Totals – A totals bet is also known as Over/Under bets. The bet is a wager on whether the final total score of the game between two teams will be below or above what the bookmaker has set.
- Season Win Totals – The sports book sets out a number of wins it expects a certain team to have in the season. Bettors can then bet on whether that team will win more (over) than the total the bookie has set or less (under).
- Parlays – Parlays merge a combination of spread bets, moneyline and totals. The payout in the event that all the lines you bet win is extremely large.
- Teasers – A teaser bet is just like a parlay except that you are given points to adjust the spread. This reduces the risk of a parlay bet.
- NFL Betting Futures – These bets are exactly what they seem to insinuate – they are bets on future games. Such bets are usually on big events like the Superbowl. You can place futures NFL betting props on potential results, predicted MVP, who will win a certain division etc.
How NFL Betting Odds Work
If you are going to wager on NFL sports betting lines, you will need to learn how to read odds. Luckily, it’s all very easy to do, so you’ll soon be on your way with NFL betting games.
The first thing you have got to know is that there are three different types of odds formats. American, decimal and fractional. You’ll only ever have to worry about American odds if you bet at our recommended NFL betting sites.
So, when you navigate to the NFL section of the sportsbooks, you’ll see a load of NFL games betting lines that look like this:
New England Patriots -145
Atlanta Falcons +130
In this line, the Patriots are thought to be the favourites whereas the Falcons have been deemed the underdogs. Bettors are able to calculate how much they could potentially win on a bet on either team by looking at whether there is positive or negative sign next to the number.
For example, a bet on the Patriots will yield US$100 from a US$145 bet. However, a US$100 bet on the Falcons will yield a US$130. In this case, the risk and rewards are high on the underdogs. Thus, if you bet less on the Falcons, you will win more.
Be sure to shop around for the best odds before placing a bet. You never know which sportsbook may surprise you with a betting line that seems ill-thought out in relation to the match. Follow NFL betting trends to get a better picture of what odds will be on a game too.
Check out our other popular betting guides:
Best NFL Betting Tips & Strategies
There are a load of gamblers out there on the hunt for some general NFL betting advice that may help them get started with making better bets in the league. Well, we got some top tips to share down below:
- Gamblers should always pay attention to how NFL public betting lines shift around over time. This way bettors can calculate when is the best time to place a bet. They can also determine team is better to place a wager on. Remember that in Super Bowl LIII, sportsbooks first pegged the Los Angeles Rams as favourites. Public betting trends then saw the New England Patriots named as favourites some time later, who would eventually go on to win the Lombardi Trophy.
- Study the odds and stats over the seasons of the teams to see what the likelihood of a bookies outcome is before placing tips. If you already do this, then you should already know helpful titbits that will make NFL betting predictions easier to make. For example, did you know that 30% of all matches are decided with a margin between three and seven points? This should make it easier to make better total bets.
- Try to take advantages of specials placed on NFL playoff betting lines. Sportsbooks know that is the time that US gamblers like to bet the most on games and thus try to give incentives to do so. This could include providing bonus funds to bettors for making certain wagers or simply providing unique bets.
Check out our other NFL Betting Guides