Hockey betting is one of the biggest forms of sports gambling in the United States. With the National Hockey League (NHL) and American Hockey League (AHL) offering literally thousands of games to bet on each and every year. This is not even to mention international leagues, such as the KHL. Hockey is a big part of both US and Canadian culture, which is why it make sense that betting on the sport is so popular.
If you enjoy betting on hockey and want to make money off your love for the sport, then you have come to the right place. We have created a hockey betting guide that unpacks all you need to know about how to bet on hockey. This includes the types of sports bets you can make, odds, tips, and strategies. In addition, we have a list of the best online gambling sites in the USA for hockey bets. So, read on and see ice hockey betting explained.
Top Hockey Betting Sites 2020
These are the best sports betting websites available to US bettors. They offer bettors the chance to make a number of different wagers on professional ice hockey games.
What You’ll Find In Our Hockey Betting Guide
There are many prospective US bettors out there wondering how do hockey betting lines work. Well, they are a slightly more complex bets of those seen in other sports. So, it can be quite confusing to a hockey betting online novice. Therefore, we have broken down the hockey betting lines to make them easier to digest. There are several types of bets in hockey games as listed below:
- Moneyline – also known as a straight-line bet. The bettor has to pick the winning team only. The exact scores are not important in this bet.
- Puck Line – so, many novice bettors ask the question, “What is the puck line in betting hockey?”. Well, simply stated, this is a handicap betting hockey option. It is similar to spread betting in football and runline betting in baseball. This kind of bet gives a range in which the favorite has to win by and the range by which the underdog has to lose or win by in order to get a payout.
- Total Bet – Also known as the over/under, this type of bet is a prediction of the combined score from both playing teams. Bettors wager on whether they think the score will be above or below the score set by the bookmakers.
- Parlay – a bet on multiple teams against the spread and all bets must win. The more bets placed, the better the odds.
- Over Under Hockey Betting – also known as a totals bet, this wagering option involves the total of the combined points in a game from both teams OR the number of games a team will win in the season. This is a bet that the total score in a game will be over or under what the oddsmaker projects.
Check out our other hockey betting pages:
When betting on hockey, consider your knowledge and experience in betting. There are certain strategies suited for beginners, and others that an experienced gambler could take a chance on. Due to the volume of variables to focus on when making bets, we will focus on providing novice gamblers with the best hockey betting systems they can use to increase their chances of winning.
Ice Hockey Betting Strategies
The top bet types when using the goal strategies include:
- Total Goals – total goals or points.
- Total Goals by Team – all points or goals by team.
- Odds or Evens – a bet on whether the total goals will be an odd or even number.
- Both Teams to Score – a bet on whether the total goals come from both teams scoring.
- Period to Score – this is a bet on what period 1/2/3 the goals are scored.
- Who to Score – a bet on which player will score.
- Players can even bet on the time of next goal.
- A Bet of Accuracy – get the correct total score to win big.
Total Goals Market
- Within the goals betting strategy, bettors can zero in and focus on the ‘total goals’ market. This strategy is a great safe zone for beginners if they do their research. The range of average goals per game throughout the years is generally consistent. Now, if you as a bettor knows the average total score per bet your likelihood of making a correct hockey betting prediction in a total bet increases significantly.
- A bit more research into participating teams will yield some insights on how teams play. When bettors know this, they can make safer bets on the total goals by team bets and both teams to score range.
Check out our other sports betting guides:
Aside from following an ice hockey betting strategy, bettors can also pay mind to a few general tips that will help them make more successful wagers when betting on hockey games.
- Focus on Line-Ups – remember that learning the team line ups for a particular match up are quite vital when making bets. If the first-choice goal tender is not starting the match, it could mean that a favored team has a lesser chance of winning a match up. Thus, it may be more profitable to bet on the underdogs.
- Schedules are Important – before placing a bet, make sure that you have had a look at a team’s current spate of games. If a team has played three games on the road and are en route to their fourth straight away game in a row, the are more likely to lose even if they have been in form recently.
- Don’t Fall in the Favorite Trap – many novice bettors have this problem of only betting on favorites. Well, just because one team is thought to have an upper hand in a game does not mean that they will actually win. Pay attention to the facts rather than solely what sportsbooks and the public thinks. You may be able to capitalize on more sharp bets that way.
- Shop for Hockey Betting Odds – remember that different sportsbooks offer different lines on the same game at different odds. To make the most money possible on a particular line, you need to make sure that you place the bet at the sportsbook with the best line.
Make sure to check out our blog for the latest betting on ice hockey tips. We cannot guarantee that you’ll win while using them, but they are sure to make you think about your bets differently.