Basketball betting is extremely popular in the United States. Most people who watch NBA and NCAAB basketball place bets on competitive games. For some religious sports bettors, this activity has proven to be very profitable at times. If you’re keen to take part in March Madness or have a feeling you know who is going to win the NBA Championship this year, but don’t know how to bet on basketball, we’ve got some good news for you.
We have put together this guide to help you understand betting on basketball before you make any bets. That is because it is better to make a well-informed sports betting decision than it is just randomly making bets. Below we go through the different basketball bets available online as well as general tips to keep in mind when betting, among loads of other things. Above all, we provide a list of the top betting sites online. So, read on and learn all you need to know about basketball betting online in the USA.
Best Online Basketball Betting Sites 2019
If you’re looking for some top basketball sports betting lines, you can’t go wrong with the USA sportsbooks listed down below. They’ve got it all: NBA, NCCAB and EuroLeague betting lines among many more. So, what are you waiting for? Sign up to start betting today!
Sports Betting.ag Online
What You’ll Find In Our Basketball Betting Guide
- How to Bet on Basketball
- Basketball Betting Odds
- Top Basketball Betting Tips
- Betting on the NBA
- College Basketball Betting (NCAAB Basketball Betting)
- USA Basketball Betting FAQs
Like any other sport that you will choose to wager on, there are different kinds of basketball betting markets. These different bets apply to both college basket betting (NCAAB basketball betting) and the NBA basketball betting. See below for some of the available bets on the sport:
- Basketball Betting Money line – so, many new gamblers ask the question, “what does moneyline mean in basketball betting?” Well, with these bets, gamblers simnply predict which team will win the game.
- Point Spread Bets – point spread in basketball betting is pretty much the same as in football. It is based on the favorites and underdogs concept, where favorites are expected to win. The favorites are given a handicap, making odds on both teams somewhat more level. Bettors then try to predict who is going to win and by what scoreline.
- Total Basketball Betting – bettors predict the total score for both teams playing. A sports betting site will estimate the total, and as a gambler, you will wager on whether the score will be lower or higher than the estimate. This best is also known as the Over/Under bet.
- Props Bets – also known as proposition bets. These bets are quite trendy among basketball followers. The bet can be made on a whole team or a specific player and focuses on what will happen to them during a game.
You need to learn how to read betting odds if you’re going to be betting on basketball. In the USA, sportsbooks use American odds, which are actually pretty easy read. When you visit an online sports betting site, lines will be displayed in the following manner:
Denver Nuggets +130
San Antonio Spurs -150
In the example betting line above, the San Antonio Spurs are favored to win the game. We are able to tell this due to the minus symbol next to the name. Essentially, if you bet $100 on the Denver Nuggets, you will win $130. However, to win $100 with a bet on the San Antonio Spurs, you will need to bet $150.
While we won’t claim to be the best basketball betting tipster online, we do have a few general tips that are sure to help out our gamblers make better wagers. If you include the following tips in y our basketball betting strategies, you are sure to get your bets right more often than not:
- Home Town Advantage is Real – one thing to take note of when engaging in basketball gambling online, is which team is playing at home. Sportsbooks tend to believe that the home side is going to do better than their opposition in a match up and will provide them with favorable odds. If you think the away team has a good chance of winning, we urge you to make some sharp bets.
- Research, Research, Research – make sure that you keep up to date with the happenings in the league you would like to bet on. This way you become more aware of betting trends and you are able to take advantage of them.
- Shop for Odds – make sure that you shop around for odds before placing a bet. Different sportsbooks have different odds for the same game. You are really doing yourself in by not making sure that you are getting the best deal available online.
With these tips, US gamblers should be able to build the best basketball betting strategy. So, what are you waiting for? Get betting!
Check out the basketball leagues you can bet on:
The NBA is one of the biggest sports leagues in the USA, and a lot of bookmakers are interested in getting fans betting on it. As a result, you will find that most of the top sports betting sites will have lucrative basketball betting opportunities. What’s more, the fans will also be on the lookout for the best odds and sportsbooks promotions for the NBA to take advantage of. More often than not, this involves basketball betting spread deals that are sure to make your bankroll go further.
Even though the listed bets above may seem like it is only a few options, there are loads of different NBA events to place wagers on. So, when you are interested in NBA basketball betting make sure to do your research and know which events you would like to bet on.
College basketball also offers some interesting betting options. The college tournament happens yearly in March where the ultimate college basketball team will win the title. However, some bets can be made throughout the year, but in March is when it is more interesting. Always check the NCAAB basketball betting trends to know how to structure your bets.
Check out our other sports betting guides:
What does moneyline mean in basketball?
Moneyline are bets that you can make on which team will win the game without the mention of by how many points. They are the most popularly available at basketball betting websites.
What is a double result in basketball?
The double result is a bet that you make on the results of both sessions of the game which is halftime and full time.
What is spread betting in basketball?
Spread betting refers to placing a kind of bet on the outcome of an event where the payoff is dependent on the accuracy of the bet.
How do you read betting odds?
Odds let you know the probability of an outcome of an event. In this way, you can work out how you will win if your bet happens to win. For example, if you are given odds of 4/1 for every US$1 you wager, you will win USD$4.
What does handicap mean in basketball betting?
The handicap bet gives you the opportunity to bet on the score difference at the end of the game.
What is over in basketball?
An over sometimes referred to as over-under or O/U, is a bet in which a sports betting site will let you wager on their estimated total score for both teams playing.