Chicago Blackhawks vs Philadelphia Flyers Preview, Prediction & Odds
The Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks both enter into the 2019/20 NHL season off a rather disappointing performance last season. Neither team managed to make it to the playoffs, with both teams falling short of even clinching a wild card spot. Understandably, several changes have been made to both teams, with coaches hoping that their new additions will at the very least change their fortunes this time round.
Today’s game is also set to take place in Prague, Czech Republic as part of their Global Series. This means that no team really comes into the game with a home advantage. As it is also both teams’ first game of the season, the only real performance information to draw when making prediction comes from preseason games, which isn’t always reliable.
Chicago Blackhawks vs Philadelphia Flyers Prediction
With the preview out of the way, let’s have a good look at some of the nitty, gritty details of both teams going into the match:
- The Blackhawks defense was absolutely terrible last season, allowing in an average of 3.54 goals per game. The team did try to rectify this by adding Olli Maatta and Calvin de Haan to their squad during the offseason, but it remains to be seen whether or not they will prove to be effective in beefing up the team’s defensive efforts.
- Corey Crawford has been named starting goaltender for the Chicago Blackhawks despite acquiring Robin Lehner from the New York Islanders. Although the team’s defensive efforts were horrible last season, Crawford did help the team win two Stanley Cups.
- On the other side, Carter Hart has been named starting goaltender for the Flyers. This will be Hart’s second year with the team, and he has already proven to be a strong addition to the team over the course of last season.
- Both the Blackhawks and the Flyers posted terrible preseason records, with both failing to garner a winning percentage. That stated, it is unwise to rely on solely preseason results when making predictions.
- The Flyers look to have a very dangerous top six, with the likes of Oskar Lindblom, Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier, among others. If these players are able to get their groove in-game, it could spell a lot of trouble for the Blackhawks.
- The Flyers have one four of their last five games head-to-head against the Blackhawks.
After having had a look at the core facts listed above, we have listed our predictions for the upcoming game:
- Moneyline – although many experts seem to believe that the Flyers are going to take this one, the Blackhawks did not really have a problem scoring last year, only keeping the goals out. With new additions to their defensive line, we think that they may just have a very good season this year, and that it all starts with this game.
- Puck Line – we’d go with the Blackhawks for +1.5. If the Blackhawks are able to score the same way they did last year, this shouldn’t be a problem.
Chicago Blackhawks vs Philadelphia Flyers Odds