Although checks are falling out of fashion as a payment method, some gambling sites still accept them. While there is a certain degree of safety associated with checks, there are many downsides.
If you pay with a check, it will take a couple of days for your transaction to be processed. Despite this obvious drawback, many online gambling sites accept checks as a banking method. In fact, many casinos only allow withdrawals via check.
If you would like to find out more about using checks at online sportsbooks and casino sites, read on.
- Online Casinos that Accept Check
- What is a Check?
- How to Make a Deposit Using Check
- How to Cashout at Check Casinos
- Advantages of Using Checks at Gambling Sites
- Disadvantages of Using Checks at Sportsbooks
- Sports Betting Sites That Accept Checks
- Check Gambling – FAQs
A check (also known as a cheque) is usually a small card that issues a payment order from one person to another person. The person who receives the check (the payee) cashes at a bank, and the bank pays them the amount specified out of the drawer’s (the person who issued the check) account.
Checks have been available since the 19th century but saw exponential growth in popularity during the 20th century. This form of money transfer saw its peak usage during the 1990s; it has become increasingly unpopular due to the security risks involved, including the fact that somebody could write you a bad check.
Although most businesses (including land-based casinos) have moved towards using newer banking methods, such as credit cards, e-wallets, and cryptocurrencies, some still accept checks.
In fact, a lot of top-rated online casinos and sports betting sites rely on checks to payout gamblers. While we wouldn’t say that this is the best way to get paid, you may have to get used to it if you play online. Most of our recommended sites use checks.
If you choose to ignore them because of this, you miss out on a world of exciting casino games, including unique slot machines.
Making a deposit using a check at gambling websites is the same as using the banking method to make a payment anywhere else. If you’re still unsure, though, our steps below will help you with the process:
- Select a casino or betting site that accepts checks. (Make sure that it is safe and secure.)
- Contact the site’s customer service team and alert them that you would like to make a payment to the site using a check. The agent should inform you of all the relevant information that you need to put on the check. (Sometimes, this information is available on the page featuring deposit options, so you won’t have to contact support.)
- When the gambling site receives the check, it will be processed and the funds debited from your account. This may take a few days.
While we wouldn’t recommend using a check as your withdrawal method, if there is no other option, here is a rundown of the process:
- Head to the gambling site’s cashier section and select the withdrawal or cashout option.
- You will then be asked to enter how much you would like to withdraw and the other information to be entered on the check.
- You will then be asked if you would like to have the check posted normally or couriered. While the courier option is more expensive, it takes less time to get to you. Also, keep in mind that you will pay for the check to be sent to you regardless of whether you choose the normal post or courier option. (This is one thing most people miss on the terms and conditions.)
- Get your check and cash it so that you can get your money!
Here are some of the reasons you should pick check as your preferred deposit method at gambling sites:
- It doesn’t cost all that much to send a check. This means minimal banking fees when depositing at a casino or sports betting site.
- Unlike debit and credit cards, checks have no limits. This means that you can make bigger deposits using a check if you want.
- You’re less likely to overspend when making use of checks as your primary banking method. As transactions aren’t instantaneous, you’re less likely to be tempted into depositing to recoup losses. Some gamblers who prefer using credit cards and e-wallets can become prey to this cycle.
- Checks can be a bit safer to use than a bank card. The reason being that if a check gets intercepted, none of the issuers’ banking information can get stolen.
Unfortunately, there are some disadvantages associated with using checks as your primary deposit method. Some of the most notable include:
- It takes a few days for checks to be processed, which means that it will take a few days before you can actually begin gambling. The same goes for withdrawals, except it usually takes even more time than a deposit.
- There are charges associated with using a check as your withdrawal option. This could be anything between $20 and $50, depending on the site. Another factor influencing charges is whether you select the courier option.
- You won’t really get access to any exclusive deposit bonuses and promotions using this payment method. While you will qualify for all the standard bonuses, payment-related bonuses are often limited to Bitcoin and credit cards.
Yes, some casinos and sportsbooks do write checks. However, we wouldn’t recommend this payment method. If there is another option available, choose that one.
Some casinos do, but it is not common practice, even online. This method takes a while to process, so you’re not going to be able to place immediate wagers if you choose to use it.
Well, quite honestly, we wouldn’t recommend it. This banking method takes a long time to process, which means it will take a while for you to get your bankroll to the game. Also, should you win any money and request to receive your winnings through a check, it will take some time for you to get it.
In this day and age where everybody wants everything done immediately, this is not a viable banking option.
Yes, it is. In fact, it is one of the safest possible banking methods because you do not have to share your banking details with anybody. That said, if somebody intercepts the check, you could lose the cash you meant to deposit into your account to a fraudster.
Most casino and sportsbooks that accept checks take the following:
1. Cashier checks
3. Courier checks
Well, we say stick to making use of credit cards, cryptocurrencies, and e-wallets. They all allow for instant deposits. Cryptocurrencies and e-wallets allow for instant withdrawals, too (following the processing period, though).
Check out our other popular banking guides: